Curbed "FL Privet"(forestiera segregata), thing is massive, hoping for suggestions on trunk-line!! :)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi! So yesterday was my first-ever "curb find", god knows how long it'd been out there so there's a good chance this thing was already too far gone when I got it but am giving it the ole college-try, anyways upon getting it home I simply got the roots bonsai-ready (kept a good amount of feeders, thankfully) and potted it, was like 11pm at that point so left it for today, I did use the concave cutters to remove all those sucker-growths from the lower portion but I never touched anything else above-soil, wanted to get some opinions here 1st!!

20190313_120256.jpg

20190312_231152.jpg 20190313_120330.jpg

Not a huge fan of this specie, can get them pretty easily around here but only own 2 as I just don't see the appeal due to leaf-size **but**, with a trunk like this, leaf-size concerns change ;D

Thanks a ton for any suggestions, or just thoughts in general on it, and happy gardening!!! :)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
(I should note I'm just completely uncertain here, maybe the right move is to leave it 100% untouched but am guessing there's some areas I should shed now!)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
"Sweating" in a black plastic bag is often helpful in circumstances like this. Normally one would have put the whole works in the bag for a week or two, until buds have sprouted from the trunk. But, you could still do that without disturbing anything, if you want, by putting the bag over the works, tucking the open end under the pot.

No promises.

Reactions: SU2

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've recovered privet that have been in a dumpster for 3 days, and they did great. I bet it will survive if the trunks showed any live tissue when you were doing your trimming. As for styling, I'd leave it alone for this year and see what you've got next spring.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
"Sweating" in a black plastic bag is often helpful in circumstances like this. Normally one would have put the whole works in the bag for a week or two, until buds have sprouted from the trunk. But, you could still do that without disturbing anything, if you want, by putting the bag over the works, tucking the open end under the pot.

No promises.
Haha yeah I just used a quick/cheap mix (no, not ground-soil with a shovel, as I've done with other things!) and threw it in there, am unsure if bagging will be useful (do you have resources on this, or have you done a lot of forestiera yammas? Not at all trying to insinuate you're incorrect at all am just curious if it's actually better for me, here, as it's humid.as.heck in FL, we're averaging 80deg and sunny right now (am going in&out from tree-work due to heat!), and it gets the benefit of a guaranteed-3x/day misting (at least 3, sometimes 6, probably averages 4x/day....have lots of just-collected BC's, as well as some ficus I'm pushing aerials on, so doing a bit of an intermittent-misting thing when I'm around or having others 'give a cloud-burst' when I'm not nearby!)

For $0 (I'd re-use the media if it didn't make it), and maybe 1hr, I am just stoked! We'll see whether it survives I guess, think that it's had so much trauma that it's probably worth just leaving it as-is and give it a year, something I've finally been able to do as of this past year and it's paying off :D

[edited-in: what @BrianBay9 describes in the dumpster is similar-enough to your bagging I'd suspect, sadly this guy was in the sun on the curb, wind/sunlight just nailing him, just a Q of whether there was enough root-mass/dirt to insulate the parts I kept! Will see, everything's budding strong right now in FL so if it's got a chance it's now!!]

I would have left that on the curb. Looks like a mess with little potential.
Are you much for collecting & developing in-general or do you prefer stock/pre-bonsai, and/or nurseries? Just curious because I only obtain material via collection & propagation (w/ incredibly few, insignificant exceptions) and for me this is "blank canvas" material, I'll grant you all day that it looks like a mess but no potential? If you just google "graham potter large privet" you'll see some incredibly amazing transformations of seemingly-low-potential material, I'm a huge fan of Potter and his style and am also strongly inclined toward larger specimen and, though I'm just learning to understand style, I think I trend towards abstract - to me this is just 'blank canvas' stock, it won't be nearly as good as many of my other trees but most-certainly will be something I'll have fun making something out of and, with that sized trunking, will let me finally work these leaves in-proportion to the overall specimen (something I can't achieve with my pair of smaller 'pre-bonsai' forestiera's)

Of anything I could've found on the curb- bougies, crapes, ficus - I'll certainly grant this is my least-favorite specimen and, so far as overall stock-material-quality goes, it is a dog- but I feed those types of dogs and like doing it ;D

I've recovered privet that have been in a dumpster for 3 days, and they did great. I bet it will survive if the trunks showed any live tissue when you were doing your trimming. As for styling, I'd leave it alone for this year and see what you've got next spring.
Whoa!! But are you talking privet privet, like Ligustrum-family? This is "FL Privet", Forestiera...different species/ not lig.ovalifolium :/ Even if you meant ligustrum, am very happy to hear that as I've got a giant privet-type tree (ligustrum family, they get ~10-15') that's recovering collection that I reallly want to survive!! If I lose this new guy, no biggie, just an ~hour down the drain ;p

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
If you just google "graham potter large privet" you'll see some incredibly amazing transformations

Haha one of my favorite comparisons when folks talk about bad shrubs for bonsai material but you ain't Graham Potter. I can pretty much guarantee this specific tree will never look remotely good as a bonsai.

Every hour you spend/waste on garbage material is an hour you lost working on something that actually has a future. Why piss away time on material that will only ever be a 2 or 3/10 even if you get the absolute most out of it? Time is never able to gain back - this is lost time on material and maintenance for good trees and good work.

Dont just 'screw' around with or 'mess' with tree, make GOOD trees - make plans for them. Blank canvas 90% of the time is usually a guys way to say well its garbage but I can make something out of it and guess what 90% of the time nothing happens. And just bc you want to collect material that's great but you dont have to collect crap just bc it's free or has a big trunk etc. WHY are you collecting a tree and what bonsai can it become?

Again man time spent on trash is lost forever and you gain absolutely nothing from it except firewood and leftover soil.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool find.
Wish I could stumble over free material once in a while....

If that was mine, I'd do what ever you need to get it healthy.....bagging is probably a good idea.

Then once its ready for some torture I'd separate the trunks into individual trees and start working on a nebari......prob ground layer, then Ebihara.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haha one of my favorite comparisons when folks talk about bad shrubs for bonsai material but you ain't Graham Potter. I can pretty much guarantee this specific tree will never look remotely good as a bonsai.
I'm genuinely unsure whether the tone of this is more intended as a dig at working tough material in-general or a dig at my skills in-particular, if the former then "agree to disagree" there's many ways of approaching the "dwarfed tree game" and maybe our tastes couldn't be more opposite, in fact I'd love to see a gallery or any media you may have available online? My album is a mess, though I'm in the middle of organizing "my launch" of a facebook & youtube of some of my stuff. If the latter, and you're just taking a dig at my skills in-particular, it's pointless for me to argue with you - I don't even have 3yrs in the hobby, though I've got >100hrs grinding-time for sure and can basically sculpt at this point (even large rocks for custom containers, I've got a recent thread in Pots or Containers of one) but point being that G.Potter didn't start out as talented as he currently is (and, yes, he can make something aesthetically appealing to me and seemingly to many others, fact, and this is frequently with material you'd absolutely have said precisely the same thing about had I posted it here)

choppychoppy said:
Wasting time
Again, subjective. My first collection was a terrible piece of bougie stock, well over a foot wide (above the nebari), it's since been separated into multiple specimen and I continue to enjoy it, the quality of my favorite piece continues to improve etc. One of my favorite trees, my "cerberus bougie", was a section torn-off a larger stand of bougies, it's half deadwood and I'm expecting you'd turn your nose up at it, but I love it so that's really all that matters in the end :)

I hope my tone didn't come across confrontational as I'm not intending to be, I dislike your negative tone because no matter the reason I can think of for it, it's a reason I consider negative, but you've clearly thought this out and, to you, this is legitimately "wasted time" and, w/ that as a premise, then yeah for sure opportunity cost is a(the) primary consideration in what to give time to, hell I'm nearing 150 trees (just added 3 benches lol, actually screwing-in the tops right now, backyard is 100% bench-ringed and more than 50% is double-tiered :D ) so it's always choosing "do I wire this guy or re-pot him?" and I fully understand that with just 50 trees I'd have "a better average" but I consider myself new to this and am still feeling-out "my tastes", hell the currently-popular asian styling of Umes is of incredible appeal to me, and "indian bonsai" (I hate national grouping but unsure how else to convey it...let's just say "stuff like Bonsai Namaste") does as well, I grow in semi-tropical FL and own very few conifers (almost none if my BC's can't count), I also collect or propagate 100% of my material (I could count the insignificant, poor-quality exceptions on my fingers) and I like doing it that way ie even if something were 95% as good, but I collected it myself, it's of higher value to me and I'm not doing this commercially I'm doing it for myself!

Would be very interested in seeing some of your work (or your trees, I get a feeling you have a smaller, high-quality collection, also guessing few were purchased as raw stock - just guesses obviously), it's very interesting to see the ways different people approach things but I very much like the fact that I drove by this ugly beast (and, yeah, this will always be a shitty specimen - it will become a heavy-carving project eventually, for sure, and never be in my top 1/3 trees), I like that I got a batch of schefflera shrubs a few weeks ago (going to chop them all and make a group-planting), the very transformation is really enjoyable to me and working with things I acquire my way is absolutely my preference (although to be clear I do hope to find someone to do some trades with, just so I can get some mature species I don't have, but the idea of that being a primary means of acquisition, or nursery shopping, don't remotely have any appeal to me. This ugly stump will be in a corner taking up ~4sq ft, it may get grinded into an abstract specimen or it may be grown-out as a "planted niwaki" whatever that would be called, it's certainly not something that's unworthy of the pittance of overhead it adds to my garden or the couple hours, total, it took me to get it into place in my garden - IMO of course!)

Will have to take a recent picture of my most 'abstract' bonsai, am very curious if you'd like it or if you'd be disgusted (and again am curious to see what you're into / have!), tastes vary so widely I guess I like all categories lol I have small stuff root over rock I have batches of pine-seedlings I could go on and on my garden has everything lol

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool find.
Wish I could stumble over free material once in a while....

If that was mine, I'd do what ever you need to get it healthy.....bagging is probably a good idea.

Then once its ready for some torture I'd separate the trunks into individual trees and start working on a nebari......prob ground layer, then Ebihara.
Yeah this was literally the first-ever time, and since learning about trunk-chopping >2yrs ago my eyes are just permanently scouting lol, I've read of people (Wigert talking about bougies for instance) talking about curb-finds like they're routine but IME they're sure as hell not!!

Fully agree on getting it healthy, but bagging just isn't gonna happen it's a beast and I wouldn't want the bags touching it so it'd need a frame and blah blah, it is just so humid here and we're averaging 78-81 and the garden's getting at least 3 mistings a day (well, that'll be stopping, the last BC finally budded - batted 100% on BC's this year :D ) so it's getting sprayed each time!

And re splitting, NO WAY!!!! I'll have to get a pic of the root-base, those sub-trunks meet in a very large, strong trunk-base, thing's almost like a turtle/raft base with 3 limbs coming up, that'll be a prime feature for sure....working nebari will likely just be wounding and gradual, minor substrate-height reductions ;)

Maybe you can work it into a funky looking lingnan style group.
If they were separate that may work, though with their foliage I'd also be considering a standard group-planting (those tend to look great when the trees are "oversized" relative to normal group-plantings) but with them staying together the only future I see for this is those 3 sub-trunks supporting a larger # of primaries that support some type of canopy, a good amount of wood will need to come off (some is dead, some is positioned such that it'd have to go for any approach, etc) but hopefully I can keep that as minimal as possible, get a good # of primaries then ground-grow them to beef them up, then have a canopy that makes sense for the skeleton and boom large, gnarly bonsai ("bonsai", unsure hacked-bushes count if we want to get as seblantic as possible)

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Would be very interested in seeing some of your work (or your trees, I get a feeling you have a smaller, high-quality collection, also guessing few were purchased as raw stock - just guesses obviously

So not so much since almost every tree has been developed by me from raw material with the exception of a handful of legacy trees, but no comment after you would love to see what I'm into??

Top Bottom