Curious about this Azalea Identification

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found this in Milton Ga growing wild. I clipped some branches for cuttings but am not sure about the genus or species. The flowers are the size of a quarter in circumference. Leaves are about a half to 3/4 inch long.

Attachments

• CCE810DE-4767-4BC9-A7CF-4F5A5FA7B8E8.jpeg
    CCE810DE-4767-4BC9-A7CF-4F5A5FA7B8E8.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 58
  • B893FC09-0D4A-4A0D-990F-1E356531BA31.jpeg
    B893FC09-0D4A-4A0D-990F-1E356531BA31.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 56

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry don't know my deciduous azaleas/NA species. If you can't figure it out, ask the American azalea society. You can use the question form on their website.

Might help:
Thanks! I’ll check it out! I like the small foliage and flowers on this one so it interests me!

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Actually, it looks like it is hose-in-hose and I can't see any stamen, which is a bit strange. And do deciduous azaleas flower this late?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually, it looks like it is hose-in-hose and I can't see any stamen, which is a bit strange. And do deciduous azaleas flower this late?
There are little stamens but hard to see in the photo. I don’t think it is deciduous. I don’t know much about azaleas so I wasn’t sure if it was one but assumed it would be a type of evergreen azalea. I just don’t know much about flowering shrubs. But I posted it in a few other groups. It is an appealing plant to me specially with good bonsai characteristics.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The plant was about six feet tall growing in mostly shade. Now that most leaves fell out here it received more direct sun. And here temps are still in the mid 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah, it does look a little bit like Kirin, which is an evergreen. But I thought you found it somewhere in the mountains because you said 'found it ... growing wild'.
I did find it wild while I was hiking off a trail that gets little human traffic. I like the area due to the diversity in plants I find.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah, it does look a little bit like Kirin, which is an evergreen. But I thought you found it somewhere in the mountains because you said 'found it ... growing wild'.
I just looked at the Kirin. It looks like that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Off hand none of the USA native azaleas have the double or "hose in hose" form. I could be wrong. But if I had to guess, this is 'Coral Bells' a fairly common in USA hybrid. If you found it in "the wilds", perhaps you were looking at an old homestead. Even to today, US Forest Service is condemning homes on scattered parcels inside national and state parks, often removing the house, but the landscape plantings stay in place. A stand of German iris is how I found an old homestead in the Shawnee National Forest.

Look for images of 'Coral Bells' and also take a look at where you found it. It might not be as "wild" a location as you thought.

In my local Illinois Beach State Park there are remnants and foundation plantings that remain from homes torn down in the 1960's.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Off hand none of the USA native azaleas have the double or "hose in hose" form. I could be wrong. But if I had to guess, this is 'Coral Bells' a fairly common in USA hybrid. If you found it in "the wilds", perhaps you were looking at an old homestead. Even to today, US Forest Service is condemning homes on scattered parcels inside national and state parks, often removing the house, but the landscape plantings stay in place. A stand of German iris is how I found an old homestead in the Shawnee National Forest.

Look for images of 'Coral Bells' and also take a look at where you found it. It might not be as "wild" a location as you thought.

In my local Illinois Beach State Park there are remnants and foundation plantings that remain from homes torn down in the 1960's.
It is a pretty old plant. I posted it here because it seemed to have bonsai characteristics at least visually with small flowers and leaves. I want to dig it up lol. I think you are right about some sort of building being there. It near a road but the area is so dense with trees that it had to of been a while since that area was cleared. Next time I go down there I am gonna check the area and see if there are other interesting plants.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Also the guy who lived in the house I currently live in went and planted azaleas back in the trees. I’ve been thinking about potting them up. I really think they are going to die in the next few years. Hardly grew any new foliage last season and didn’t notice but a few flowers

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

reminded me of the history around me: where im from, everywhere, are old carriage roads (cobbles and field stone), foundations, arrowheads,
monuments regarding the king philips war and revolutionary. fricken wild. this is during hikes and on trails. lots of old mills and granite bridges over streams. i have a local found spear head (white quartz) from my grandma. friends house has plaque from 1780s on front door.

i live in Dartmouth, MA (dartmouth indians)

nice Azalea find, OP

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is a pretty old plant. I posted it here because it seemed to have bonsai characteristics at least visually with small flowers and leaves. I want to dig it up lol. I think you are right about some sort of building being there. It near a road but the area is so dense with trees that it had to of been a while since that area was cleared. Next time I go down there I am gonna check the area and see if there are other interesting plants.

Sounds good. Older azaleas can make excellent bonsai. And if you dug it up, because it is a man made hybrid, you are not digging up an "endangered species", you can think of it as removing an exotic from the woods. No harm to the native restorations.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds good. Older azaleas can make excellent bonsai. And if you dug it up, because it is a man made hybrid, you are not digging up an "endangered species", you can think of it as removing an exotic from the woods. No harm to the native restorations.
I’ve only dug up small saplings in the wild that were plentiful in the area. Although have seen some really cool larger trees that I’ve wanted to dig up. I don’t know the laws and stuff and didn’t want to get in trouble walking around with a big tree I took. So I’ve only taken cuttings and saplings that were plentiful. Have you taken trees from the wild?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have only taken trees from land I or my family has owned. It is important to get permission when digging from public lands. Usually somewhere on the property is a sign with the name & phone number of the site manager. State and National forests, are areas designated for "resource harvesting", it is possible to get permits to collect a few trees. Wildlife Refuges, Parks and Recreation areas are not areas for "resource extraction", much less likely to get collection permits. If you point out that the species you are after is not native, but rather an introduced plant, you are more likely to get permission.

I will admit that occasionally in my walks along an active railroad right of way I have dug the occasional smaller seedling. Technically it was not legal.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have only taken trees from land I or my family has owned. It is important to get permission when digging from public lands. Usually somewhere on the property is a sign with the name & phone number of the site manager. State and National forests, are areas designated for "resource harvesting", it is possible to get permits to collect a few trees. Wildlife Refuges, Parks and Recreation areas are not areas for "resource extraction", much less likely to get collection permits. If you point out that the species you are after is not native, but rather an introduced plant, you are more likely to get permission.

I will admit that occasionally in my walks along an active railroad right of way I have dug the occasional smaller seedling. Technically it was not legal.
Thanks for the input. I’ll have to look more into it. I forgot what the propagating method is but it’s when trees grow along the root system of a older tree. I found some beech along a trail growing like that. I guess depending on how large the primary root is it would be possible to extract the little trees growing from the stock. But It would be cool to dig up the azalea. It is like 7ft tall. I have thought but not put into practice possibly pruning a tree a year before extracting so that it doesn’t go into so much shock from taking a lot of roots that is most likely good for the health plant.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve been struggling with one of the ‘extra’ Commandments: ‘Thou shalt not air-layer thy neighbor’s magnolia tree.’
Sounds like the back-lot azaleas are starving to death. You’d be committing a humane act to dig them, pot ‘em up later, and nurse them back to health.

Top Bottom