Curling airlayers

Necrosis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_3145.jpg
This is the first spring for this acer palmatum (Bloodgood) cutting. It did well all last year and leafed out. However, the leaves have begun to curl and I'm not 100% sure why. It has been sitting in partial shade, temps have been between 60-80. I've watered carefully and given some 10-10-10 fertilizer. I have leaf curl on this maple and another trident. I dug into the rootball some and it did appear very wet. I used some sphagnum moss for the airlayer and placed the entire thing in pumice. The roots seem to have grown quite a bit. The leaves are soft and moist so I'm guessing it may be overwatered? Any advice on how to proceed? I'm likely going to remove the sphagnum and place in a more shallow container with pumice and let it dry out some.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First thought, a 10-10-10 fertilizer seems pretty strong, unless you diluted it pretty well too.
Did you research the fertilizing needs of the species before going with that mix? It could have been too much for it.

If you conclude that's the issue, flush the soil with plenty of water to flush out the excess fertilizer, then let it dry out until slightly moist before continuing any watering regimen.
Good luck!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is that pea gravel?

Ahh, Pumice! Just read it..
So is the moss still in there... wrapped around?... soggy “shin”?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First thought, a 10-10-10 fertilizer seems pretty strong, unless you diluted it pretty well too.
Did you research the fertilizing needs of the species before going with that mix? It could have been too much for it.

If you conclude that's the issue, flush the soil with plenty of water to flush out the excess fertilizer, then let it dry out until slightly moist before continuing any watering regimen.
Good luck!
I don’t think that the miracle grow ( ;) ) is the cause... while it IS a “mass, synthetic blitzkrieg”-style fertilizer, Maples will normally just take what they want without batting an eye at excess or inconsistencies (Within reason)... Some people prefer the 10-10-10, and as you stated, dilute it to specific needs.

I’m sure we all have had one (or NOT one) of those little boxes with the blue, sugar-like crystalline substance.🤣

I wouldn’t recommend it for new(er) layers or cuttings, though.. so I think we are both thinking in positive directions to get to the “root” of OPs issue. (Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck) 🙃

IF the timeline OP presented (about the layer already pushing growth and being healthy for a season) is correct... I do not believe the fertilizer is the cause..

🤓

Top Bottom