Curling leaves on newly collected trees

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello.

I dug up several Elms last fall. Now the leaves gets black tips and are curling up. I checked the roots and one of the trees has new white roots emerging from the trunk below the soil and the rest of them hasn't been growing new roots. As you probably can tell there isn't enough roots to support the growth of leaves.

What should I do? Place in sun/shade? Should I use the black bag method? What works?

Thank you in advance!
2020-05-29 07.57.53.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My opinion would be to keep the tree well watered, but not over. Just keep an eye on the watering and ensure it has ALL it needs. It is a lot more difficult to over water, than under water. Black tips usually means the trees hydration needs are not being met, which are caused by a number of things.
Keep it in a less harsh place in the garden, not necessarily full shade but perhaps out of full dry sun. It needs some time to recover and get healthy.
More pics of the whole tree?

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@ConorDash
Thank you for your reply. Let med explain the history of the trees in more details:

- Dug up in the last fall.
- Placed in too much organic soil. We had lots of rain in the winter and spring.
- They leafed out well in spring. Then the leaves started to curl a couple of weeks ago.
- I inspected the roots to find no new roots grow and wet roots.
- I did a emergency repot because the roots would have been rotting in the old soil mix.
- I repotted the trees into pure spagnum moss and leca pebbles and mixed mycelium in the soil. The leaves hasn't curled alot more after the repot.

The trees are now placed in 2 hours sun a day.
I'm pretty sure the problem are that there hasn't been any root growth because of the wet roots and now the roots can't support the leaves.
What else can I do?
I posted more pictures.

Attachments

• 20200529_113411.jpg
    20200529_113411.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200529_113556.jpg
    20200529_113556.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200529_113617.jpg
    20200529_113617.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200529_113722.jpg
    20200529_113722.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200529_113805.jpg
    20200529_113805.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200529_113843.jpg
    20200529_113843.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 20

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm well depends on the current roots. When you collected it, how much root did it have and has it still got those roots? Even if its not made any new roots, may still be ok on the current roots it was collected with, right?
Any particular reason you removed the soil it came in? Id have left it in the soil. I dont collect trees but if so, i would leave in their own soil for a while.

Is it outside, I guess? And usually full sun is fine, all day long but perhaps whilst it is recovering, less is ok

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmm well depends on the current roots. When you collected it, how much root did it have and has it still got those roots? Even if its not made any new roots, may still be ok on the current roots it was collected with, right?
Any particular reason you removed the soil it came in? Id have left it in the soil. I dont collect trees but if so, i would leave in their own soil for a while.

Is it outside, I guess? And usually full sun is fine, all day long but perhaps whilst it is recovering, less is ok
When I collected the trees they had lots of fine roots. Now some of them are rotted away, but they still have some fine roots left.
I removed the soil because it was too organic. If I keept the trees in that soil then the roots would have all rotten away.
It's placed outside yes and gets a couple of hours sun a day.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ConorDash
Thank you for your reply. Let med explain the history of the trees in more details:

- Dug up in the last fall.
- Placed in too much organic soil. We had lots of rain in the winter and spring.
- They leafed out well in spring. Then the leaves started to curl a couple of weeks ago.
- I inspected the roots to find no new roots grow and wet roots.
- I did a emergency repot because the roots would have been rotting in the old soil mix.
- I repotted the trees into pure spagnum moss and leca pebbles and mixed mycelium in the soil. The leaves hasn't curled alot more after the repot.

The trees are now placed in 2 hours sun a day.
I'm pretty sure the problem are that there hasn't been any root growth because of the wet roots and now the roots can't support the leaves.
What else can I do?
I posted more pictures.
Wait! Time will give you your answer. I would give the tree morning sun and keep out of windy area.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No a black bag would prevent Photosynthesis!
You could try a clear bag and keep the tree out of direct sun and wait to see if it recovers.
Yes of course a clear bag. My bad.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those pebbles look way too coarse to provide ample contact with the roots. Air is good, but if there's no water then the roots will just dessicate. They're black so they might get hot too.
I think it might be a good idea to put them in a tray of water, because that's what those clay balls are meant for.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those pebbles look way too coarse to provide ample contact with the roots. Air is good, but if there's no water then the roots will just dessicate. They're black so they might get hot too.
I think it might be a good idea to put them in a tray of water, because that's what those clay balls are meant for.
There are contact with the roots. The soil are pebbles mixed with spagnum moss and mycelium. But you are probably right with the rest. Thank you.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
With that little moss, I wouldn't expect the moss to do much. Mycelium needs time to establish, and it can take a couple of months before it's effectively colonizing.
I don't want to sound like a jackass, but I want your trees to live. I think your ideas make sense, but the execution comes a little short. I've meddled with those pebbles a lot, and they hold almost no water because they're baked with a coating. They're used in hydroponic gardening to keep the roots achored and that's it. Most of the water either has to come from the bucket the pebble filled pots are standing in, or from a continuous stream/spray of water.

When I use moss for restoration or cuttings, I use a 100% volume wise, or at least 30-50% when mixed with inorganics. A few shreds just doesn't cut it, it needs to be connected/touching somehow, so that water can effectively transport through the moss.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
With that little moss, I wouldn't expect the moss to do much. Mycelium needs time to establish, and it can take a couple of months before it's effectively colonizing.
I don't want to sound like a jackass, but I want your trees to live. I think your ideas make sense, but the execution comes a little short. I've meddled with those pebbles a lot, and they hold almost no water because they're baked with a coating. They're used in hydroponic gardening to keep the roots achored and that's it. Most of the water either has to come from the bucket the pebble filled pots are standing in, or from a continuous stream/spray of water.

When I use moss for restoration or cuttings, I use a 100% volume wise, or at least 30-50% when mixed with inorganics. A few shreds just doesn't cut it, it needs to be connected/touching somehow, so that water can effectively transport through the moss.
The pebbles I use are NOT coated.
The roots underneath the pebbles are 100 procent covered in spagnum moss.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Let's see here...you are looking for advice and come on here asking just that. Then comes a guy with probably way more experience than you, and you argue with him. Ya, that'll work. Let me give some advice from someone who was there once...take into account what he says and stuff the arguing!

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let's see here...you are looking for advice and come on here asking just that. Then comes a guy with probably way more experience than you, and you argue with him. Ya, that'll work. Let me give some advice from someone who was there once...take into account what he says and stuff the arguing!
Wow that escalated quickly.
I'm not arguing at all, you couldn't be more wrong.
Please mind your own business when you try to start a argument with me and @Wires_Guy_wires

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Didn't escalate until you posted Denmark. When you post on here, you're business becomes everybody's business. Calm down! ;)

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Didn't escalate until you posted Denmark. When you post on here, you're business becomes everybody's business. Calm down! ;)
You are clearly a troll. Don't destroy my thread with all your shit. Your only plan is to ruin my thread and upset people. I'm here to get help with my trees. I'm not here to argue with you. Please leave my thread, you will clearly not help. Next time I report you.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Trust me, I am not a troll and am not out to ruin your thread or upset anybody. You get right after that reporting my friend. :)

Top Bottom