Curly Willow 2.5 year progression from hard chop to detail wiring

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This tree is special to me because it's one that I have been working the longest and have spent the most hours on. I pulled it off a trash heap in Nov. 2016. It was an unremarkable patio tree with about a 1 inch trunk. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of it then because I didn't yet understand the importance of documenting progress.

In April 2017, I hard chopped it flush to the ground. My timing was blind luck, as I was still a total noob. It turns out that that's a great time to hard chop things.

By fall, it was an 8 footer with about a 3-inch trunk. Here it is in February 2018 when buds were starting to pop.

IMG_20180210_111047.jpg

So it was time for another hard chop:

IMG_20180210_121955.jpg

About 3 months later, the whips were already 4 feet long, so it was time to wire the primary branches. I was not prepared for how quickly the wire would cut in, and some of those initial scars are still visible today.

IMG_20180429_162136.jpg

Like all noobs, I wanted a WEEPING willow. I wasted a lot of time trying to make the branches weep with clothes pins. NOTE: it does work! But as you'll see, it becomes unsustainable very quickly.

By June of 2018, I was excited that it was already kinda lookin like a weeping willow.

IMG_20180629_200354.jpg

But the problem is that every single shoot on a curly willow wants to grow STRAIGHT UP. So you have to keep adjusting the clothes pins if you want to get anywhere.

I fought this habit valiantly for about another year.

This is March 2019:

IMG_20190326_171046.jpg

By June 2019, my enthusiasm for fighting it and constantly readjusting clothes pins was gone. As the branches ramify, the problem gets exponentially harder, too.

I noticed another issue--even if my plan for a weeping willow suceceded, you would never see the best attribute of this tree: it's trunk.

IMG_20190620_073034.jpg

So I switched gears and decided to do a broom style. I undid the guy wires and just let the shoots grow freely. Which they did readily. STRAIGHT UP.

Here it was in December 2019. Holy shit! These things hate weeping! Note also the root suckers that I allowed to grow wild. Doing that really helps smooth out the taper.

IMG_20191205_102116.jpg

In March I finally got it into a (HUGE) bonsai pot and gave it a haircut.

EV7D3LVOs5VkjM-ZZ4PMSFk--oI9pnqBau9dPfk4h6A.jpg

Too many branches. I cut a few of them off.

Then I set about with detail wiring. This took far longer than I thought it was going to. I think I spent 12 hours total trying to wire everything up, and I still only got about 70% of the branches done.

IMG_20200723_103708.jpg

The trunk continues to thicken and age. It's now more than four inches thick above the root flare. I've got some strategic suckers on the left to further make this trunk epic.

IMG_20200723_103759.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm quite pleased with the results. If I had to do it again, I would be much more thoughtful about which branches to keep. There are a lot of branches that overlap each other when viewed in a 2D picture.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nicely done. And I liked your weeping version as well.

On a tree that grows this fast, I think wiring is unnecessary. You could just prune to get branching where you want it.

Good for you making something interesting of a specie mostly ignored/chastised.
CW

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nicely done. And I liked your weeping version as well.

On a tree that grows this fast, I think wiring is unnecessary. You could just prune to get branching where you want it.

Good for you making something interesting of a specie mostly ignored/chastised.
CW
Thanks. This is one of my favorite species because of its fast growth and ease of propagation. I have a veritable curly willow farm in my backyard, which took little effort.

It does have drawbacks, such as dieback. But it is predictable and can thus be easily managed. The tree simply kills off loser branches that are at a disadvantage. So the trick (with either the broom or a weeping style) is to just make sure they're all about equal in terms of dominance.

Curly willows are infinitely more well-behaved than weeping willows (s. babylonica), where the dieback is completely unpredictable and die-back-to-the-ground brutal when it happens.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Well done. Now that it is leafless, it is a good time to go through and thin out, removing excess branching. It looks great in general, but seems too dense. Judicious thinning, removal of some of the branching would help. Overall silhouette is fine.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well done. Now that it is leafless, it is a good time to go through and thin out, removing excess branching. It looks great in general, but seems too dense. Judicious thinning, removal of some of the branching would help. Overall silhouette is fine.
This is something I'm still figuring out. In person the branches are nicely spaced.

But the density for nice spacing in a 2D projection through the whole tree is much different.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better camera. BBQ grill for scale.

View attachment 343519
Nice tree!

My one nit-pick is all the fine branching seems to have a slight rightward lean that I can't unsee. Maybe it's intentional? Or maybe from a slight change in potting angle? Or the camera angle?

I find it distracting because it doesn't look "windswept" but it doesn't look "mounded" either.

That's being very picky, I know. Sorry! It is a very nice tree :)

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, I never noticed that before but you're totally right. Those stems all grew that way in the direction of the afternoon sun.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, I never noticed that before but you're totally right. Those stems all grew that way in the direction of the afternoon sun.
Ah! That makes sense! I was trying to understand why the all leaned but that would do it :)

Time to start turning your tree every week ;)

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring dieback report. Everything on the chair is dieback. Ouch!

Lesson learned: DO NOT PRUNE during dormancy!

0V5A5092.JPG

Top Bottom