Current wisdom on blue spruce?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So what is the current wisdom on Colorado Blue Spruce as Bonsai?

Are they considered to be a good species for bonsai now or are they still considered to be too much of a pain in the neck to deal with?

Thanks

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd probably pick one up and try some techniques on it. Best way to get an answer to your question.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I myself have 2 in the works. There are some very nice ones out the, I have personally seen @Vance Wood Blue Spruce, one of my favourite trees. These should be grown as larger bonsai due to thier larger growth habit.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't seen many convincing bonsai from this variety and I'll assume that most available material would be grafted(with scar likely) and with super straight trunks. If the tree were collected it would likely be a different story. I would think there are better varieties of spruce to work with. Englemann's or black hills maybe? Don't know enough about these species. I got a bunch of free seeds and they sprouted but I ended up tossing them out.

Just a shame there aren't more Ezo or sachalin spruce around. I missed the boat on purchasing a wonderful sachalin spruce a year or two ago and continue to kick myself over it. just my .02.....

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are they considered to be a good species for bonsai now or are they still considered to be too much of a pain in the neck to deal with?

There are some very nice old ones out there and at first glance one sees a good wide trunk. Having some potted here I can say honestly they must have been procured at 10 years or so old with a lot of branches still at or near the base.
The reason I say that is they are top growers and do not back bud/branch well when the top is cut. Doing that also requires a hell of a seal as the cuts bleed like lava. Even when sealed proper they tend to still send the sap strongly upward so if there are well placed branches below the cut they will normally grow nicely.
Knowing that I keep the ones I have potted as lawn deco... Unless right from the start there is good potential I am certain I do not have enough years to develop one properly.
So yes they can be good, for me personally not so much...

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They make good bonsai. The problem is, everyone wants to pinch the new growth. Oh, there's a technique, they say. Pinch it just right, and you won't break any of the other needles in the shoot. Uh, huh.

Even that's not right.

They will back bud profusely if you just let them grow. Let grow, then cut back to a bud. Let grow, then cut back to a bud.

Pinching them weakens them. Don't pinch!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They make good bonsai. The problem is, everyone wants to pinch the new growth. Oh, there's a technique, they say. Pinch it just right, and you won't break any of the other needles in the shoot. Uh, huh.

Even that's not right.

They will back bud profusely if you just let them grow. Let grow, then cut back to a bud. Let grow, then cut back to a bud.

Pinching them weakens them. Don't pinch!

This is true, do cut back in fall to mid winter and the things will back bud like crazy all on it's own - You can however use very sharp scissors and trim the outer buds as the start to harden off to about 1/3 there size to maintain the outer overall shape. Just take it your time and try not to cut needles just the stem

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the replies. Any additional feedback is very welcome.

I am not considering the typical landscape material here.

The reason I ask, is there is a nice old one available to me if I want it. It is an expensive purchase for me so I want to make sure it can be made into a nice tree.

There won't be room for experimentation with this tree and I don't want to purchase something that can't be done.

If the species is viable, this will be a very nice tree when it's fully developed.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying one again. Not wisdom to add as I killed 2 last year. Being much more careful with this one.
Watching this thread.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now I know how you got to that "other" thread!

I wonder if we can find out how @JudyB
Spruce from the contest is doing?

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is true, do cut back in fall to mid winter and the things will back bud like crazy all on it's own - You can however use very sharp scissors and trim the outer buds as the start to harden off to about 1/3 there size to maintain the outer overall shape. Just take it your time and try not to cut needles just the stem
Giga, if there is a bud right there where you're cutting, it's ok. Always cut back to a bud.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you pinch, spruce will develop a bud/s at that site. Sooner or later you must pinch the new growth on spruce.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Giga, if there is a bud right there where you're cutting, it's ok. Always cut back to a bud.

Actually you don't need to as the blue spruce I have, I have just made general cut backs and even places that were not cut to a bud(like branch I didn't want) buds still formed all over the place, even with no needles on the branch. Yes it good practice to cut back to a bud, BUT if a blue spruce(and many other variants) is healthy and strong it will put buds all over the place and give you plenty to work with.

They will literally put buds all over the place - least mine does
0717151821b-2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is one I'm trying with care.
IMG_20170106_202055827.jpg

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a few I picked up ,leftovers from years past at tree nursery, the type I picked up have great bark, hilltop spruce is what tag said(it was very faded) I myself love the look of them, for the most part I have just slightly root pruned them and re-potted them and minor branch pruning with soil consistent of lava rock, pumice, and fir bark. I am letting them go for a while, they seem to be doing fine.

Top Bottom