Custom box

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a funky box for you!

A few reasons for the build of this box.
I keep hearing trees transplant better if kept at the same angle they were growing, I think there's probably some truth to this but I don't always follow the practice.
I enjoy looking at the tree better at this angle.
The main reason in this case is a thick dense and flat rootpad with many active roots on the underside. A pad like this can act like an umbrella making it difficult to water the substrate underneath without overwatering the rootball above. Now I can water down both sides of the pad, I think it'll be better this way.

Here's the start of the box, wrapped tree tested for size and some interior blocks added to reduce substrate volume.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 319

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the rootball partially back filled, thin layer on both sides, some worked into openings within the rootball. And another board notched by chainsaw to fit around the trunk in order to continue raising the soil level.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 251

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple more blocks at the top, back filled, and the result!

Off to the races, it looks like something you could send down a bobsled track, hopefully the tree will be happy in it.

Notice the chainsaw cuts on the front of the box? I find this the quickest way to cut aeration holes, chainsaw kerf is perfect size for my soil particles to not fall out. I forgot to hit the sides of the box but did many cuts on the bottom and both long sides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 239

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About the best I can do right now for a shot of the tree, actually very good potential there, reminds me of some of Walter Palls naturalistic spruce.

And couple shots from the hills it came from.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 239

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Sweet construction and tree wireme! Nice workmanship. And must be small chain saw to not have soil come out it's kerf. My small one must have 3/8" kerf. Anyway, smart ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice build...reminds me of what Ryan Neil does.

My only comment, you could have added some "shelf" space for the roots to colonize where your tree emerged from the box. It will help you have a better rootball in the future. As it is, you are encouraging a deep single sided root system.

This is okay IF you plan on using some exotic shaped pot in the future.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once we are able to tease out the mountain soil I expect the root system to be flexible enough to flatten out into a normal pot. Thanks for the feedback, I will add a root shelf to the bag of imaginary tricks for the future.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet construction and tree wireme! Nice workmanship. And must be small chain saw to not have soil come out it's kerf. My small one must have 3/8" kerf. Anyway, smart ;)

Standard chain for a medium size saw, 20" bar. Leaves a kerf of just over 1/2". A bit of soil comes out when it's loaded then locks together and stays put.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one doing well enough too. It's grown a bit, stayed green and is loaded with new buds. image.jpgStill pretty hard to capture the tree in a pic, it's better material than it appears. I'll let'er go one more year in the box then repot the following spring. image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! - I can't wait for spring collection times!
Me too man. I just hope I can swing more time. Life has somehow caught up to me the last few years and I've only pulled off a couple/few days of collecting a year. Could be a good thing I guess, would have no room to walk through the yard otherwise!

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice one man, love seeing your work, thanks for posting. I too cannot wait for spring collecting, wish I had a mountain to go searching on. I wonder what this winter will be like.. last year I collected a really nice hornbeam on Jan 10th, it was 60 degrees that day, then rained the next, then was back to 20 and snow the 3rd day, healthiest and most vigorous hornbeam I have! I also found a baby snapper on christmas eve walking in the grass last year.. which was very odd. I'd think we are due for a severe winter, but who the heck knows anymore. if I get a 60 degree day in Jan again.. I know what ill be doing that day.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's what Bruce Jenner says! It's custom made too.
I thought I heard someone say he was keeping his original parts?

This one doing well enough too. It's grown a bit, stayed green and is loaded with new buds. View attachment 118212Still pretty hard to capture the tree in a pic, it's better material than it appears. I'll let'er go one more year in the box then repot the following spring. View attachment 118213
Nice! So is the plan to keep it at the same angle? I thought you built the box for acclimation purposes only.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What? So he's only just wearing dresses? And he gets recognition for it? Hell,I can do that!
Here I thought little Bruce was in a garbage dump somewhere.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nice! So is the plan to keep it at the same angle? I thought you built the box for acclimation purposes only.

The box was built in a way that I thought would give it the best chance of survival but I also want to keep the tree upright. I know exactly what I want to do with this one. It may require some kind of odd pot but I hope not.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom