Custom diaza for new stones [embedded images]

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recently had the fortunate opportunity to spend some time with a new friend in the local suiseki world and a true up and comer in the daiza biz. Patrick Metiva carved a few daiza for some stones that we own so that they could be appreciated. I thought I would share the results with you. He does truly wonderful work and I hope to enjoy many more of this stones and daiza.

Let's start small:
a small pool/puddle stone we picked up from Ken McLeod. The impression is about the size of my thumb.
mini_pool_7025_md.jpg

Something a little more rugged:
we purchased this stone from Vancouver Island, BC at the 2009 PNBCA convention
VancouverViewingStone_7056_md-1.jpg

And one of my personal favorites:
this animal stone depicting the bust of a Silverback Gorilla I collected on Whidbey Island, WA.
WhidbeyGorrilaStone_7044_md.jpg

Hope you enjoy them.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a 5 color jasper I got from Ken McCloud.... Patrick made this diaza for me... I loveeee this stone dearly. :) Especially in the diaza... This is an uncut stone.

Jasper_a_7051_md.jpg

Suiseki rocks!! :cool:

V

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this the same guy who made the stand for the azalea? Pretty nice stands and stones too. I am partial to the first myself. Now so much for the pool but just to look at the stone and see it is split from another stone. How old is the stone? How did it split and when was that? (sorry these are rhetorical) It is old, look at the patina beginning to creep around the edgae as well as the wear pattern.

For me that is the story of the stone.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ohh...one other thing....Better brush up on your stones and scrolls cause stones too will be part of the museum here shortly. We will be drafting a Suiseki display competition that will run counter to the bonsai. It could become part of the museum cycle meaning they would be on display for an extended time. These might include scroll accent and stone. I already have one in mind and can't wait for this to develop.

We had one diplay this year in the museum just to test the water. It recieved a lot of praise eventhough it was not really done with competition in mind, more of a space filler.

It can be seen in the forground of this oblique shot. Scroll offered a tree limb with an eagle or hawk, I don't remember.

Attachments

• DSC_00550021.JPG
    DSC_00550021.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 26

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this the same guy who made the stand for the azalea? Pretty nice stands and stones too. I am partial to the first myself. Now so much for the pool but just to look at the stone and see it is split from another stone. How old is the stone? How did it split and when was that? (sorry these are rhetorical) It is old, look at the patina beginning to creep around the edgae as well as the wear pattern.

For me that is the story of the stone.

This is a different gentleman specializing just in daiza making for the moment ...

it is quite a beautiful and serene stone..... it is a favorite even tho it is small.... :) :)

I remember seeing the stone display at the museum in the oblique shot and wondered why we didn't see any other pictures of it... now i know why ... lol it was just for fun..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smoke...

You always wanted me to turn into a rock hound... that mission has so been accomplished... I love the stones very nearly as much as my trees. I can see how good stones could be even more problematic for collecting than trees... it's so easy to take home so many. I look forward to being able to really learn more about them.

V

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I havn't even posted a pic of my pride and joy. I am in the process of carving a Daiza for it. It will be my first stone for a competition. It is a stone to die for.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ang3lfir3 & Vic,

Beautiful stones and diaza - and great photos of them as well. Patrick does some great work and is starting to collect some great local stones near his home in the Cascades as well. It was great to meet him at the convention. He's supposed to do some work for me as well (stands for Shiva lingam stones - :), but probably others are ahead of me. I better email him and make sure he hasn't forgotten about me . . .

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ang3lfir3 & Vic,

Beautiful stones and diaza - and great photos of them as well. Patrick does some great work and is starting to collect some great local stones near his home in the Cascades as well. It was great to meet him at the convention. He's supposed to do some work for me as well (stands for Shiva lingam stones - :), but probably others are ahead of me. I better email him and make sure he hasn't forgotten about me . . .

That is gunna be awesome!!! I love the madrona one he did and I hope he does some similar ones for you!! you better get that email going I know I can't get back on the list until Jan!! :p

Top Bottom