Custom Made Wooden Training Pots...

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I'm new to this site and fairly new to the Bonsai culture...just 3 years
I've got a number of trees now (over 50) and many in the training stages.
I'm a cabinet maker and furniture builder by trade and got tired of looking at cut off black plastic containers in my back yard (as did my wife)...so I decided to make wooden training boxes...but I wanted them to look decent, so, this is what I've come up with:2013-03-08 10.46.22.jpg2013-03-08 10.48.09.jpg2013-03-08 10.52.29.jpg2013-02-27 17.39.43.jpg
They are 2 x 8 Redwood with 1 x 6 Cedar bottoms. Screwed and glued (stainless and exterior) with a water based exterior finish. I've got 3 sizes: 19x15x7.5, 15x15x7.5 and 15x12x7.5.I'm selling them for $45 ea.
I'd love to get your thoughts...
Thanks in advance :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These look very nice! Maybe even too nice to be considered a training pot. Nice job.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice! :)

I personally am not sure if I can shell out $45 (plus shipping I suppose) on something that will eventually rot. Though redwood & cedar will take longer than most wood.

Good luck with your venture!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They look extremely nice with great craftsmanship. I would however like to see more drainage, and perhaps one with the entire bottom screened (with only small structural supports) somewhat like an Anderson flat. For maples, an interior depth of 2 to 3 inches would be ideal. Nice work, though.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Poin88 is correct. Unless wooden pots becomes a new trend in place of clay or mica pots, wooden pots are used for training only in bonsai. The wood roots. With the utilization of inorganic soils and regular watering (and sometimes freezing) wood will rot and seams come apart in a few years. Cedar rots quickly as well. We know the pit falls with green-treated wood and plants too! Plastics are good for training bonsai.

Your craftmanship look great!

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I make training boxes I used the 1/4 metal screen on the bottom(it's the bottom board that will rot out fastest). I rip the cedar board into strips 1 1/2 inches wide. I would put 3-4 of those across the bottom.

I build my cheap, less visually appealing grow boxes for the cost of 1 1/2 1x6x8 pieces of cedar decking material +metal screen and a few screws. Probably about $15. Wood and water are a bad combo. It would be hard to pay to much for something so short lived. Using screen on the bottom will add to the life span, I would think.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice. I also understand about the wife not liking a bunch of black anderson's in the backyard. It's already been mentioned but more drainage needs to be provided. Nice workmanship.:cool:

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Thanks to all for the comments. I had considered all (and more) while designing. Of course they can be made with as much drainage as necessary, ( I actually put 1/4 " screen in the bottom of a couple of mine. I'm looking into a waterproofing material to line the inside to give them longer life. Of course, living in So. Cal., I don't worry about freezing (having grown up on east coast, I know the damage that can be done!).
I'll try implementing a couple changes and put up some pics:)
As for a Chinese pot for the cost of two of mine...well, I bet mine might last longer lol!!
Thanks again!!

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are super nice.
My issue would be the size, I build my training pot according to the size of the yamadori and what the collect roots need to be contained.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As for a Chinese pot for the cost of two of mine...well, I bet mine might last longer lol!!

I totally disagree but go for it and see what the market does. You may be right and I am wrong. Good luck!

aidan13

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wilmington, NC (8a) and Charlotte, NC (7b)
USDA Zone
8a
I would certainly consider them as training pots if you did find some way to seal the wood and slow down the rotting process. I would happily pay 45 bucks for something that would last, say. . . . 4 years. Paying 11 bucks a year to have my trees in training in something other than plastic buckets sounds like a deal to me.

They also look great for use as succulent container gardens. Less watering, less rotting, plus an excuse to go out and buy cool new plants to fill them up with.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't they make spray in rubberized waterproof truck liners?

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I totally disagree but go for it and see what the market does. You may be right and I am wrong. Good luck!
That was a mild attempt at humor:) truth is, these boxes are better suited for garden planters. I just prefer to enjoy my trees regardless of what stage they're in...
Thanks for your honesty!!

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Don't they make spray in rubberized waterproof truck liners?

Yes...looking into it. Worried about products that " gas off". There is a brush on emulsion used in planter boxes and retaining walls. If I waterproof the sides with a screen bottom...I bet they're good for 8-10 yrs, depending on location.
Thanks

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I would certainly consider them as training pots if you did find some way to seal the wood and slow down the rotting process. I would happily pay 45 bucks for something that would last, say. . . . 4 years. Paying 11 bucks a year to have my trees in training in something other than plastic buckets sounds like a deal to me.

They also look great for use as succulent container gardens. Less watering, less rotting, plus an excuse to go out and buy cool new plants to fill them up with.

Much appreciated...I think (thanks to this discussion), I've got a solution. I'll make some alterations and post some pics:)
Thanks again

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Those are super nice.
My issue would be the size, I build my training pot according to the size of the yamadori and what the collect roots need to be contained.

Me too. When I return from a collecting trip the garage turns into a hybrid wood shop/potting shed. With my chop saw and nail gun I can bang out custom sized wood boxes in about 5 minutes each. Speed is important when I have a dozen or so trees to pot up. I use cedar fence boards and always keep the boxes off the ground. This allows them to last quite well.

I like not caring about the box so I won't hesitate to drill holes in it to screw in the tree or have tie down spots.

Although Fraser's workmanship is beautiful and I understand why he is doing it (my wood boxes are an eyesore!).

Cheers

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cedar is an extremely rot resistant wood, I'll bet they last quite a while, wouldn't be suprised if you get 10+ yrs out of them.

There are old mill sites in the forest around here, cedar boards partially buried in old sawdust piles 80 yrs old and still almost useable.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had redwood boxes with 2x thick sides last for several years as veggie planters. The bottom will go quick though, so it is best if you can easily replace it, or just use stainless screening.

But I have never treated them. What did you seal them with? the only one I considered using is tung oil. but I have been told not to treat the wood(is this just for edibles?)

I also learned that old renchers used fire to treat the bottom of their fence posts. I have considered this for the interior side of veggie boxes and bonsai pots. but I just use 1"x6"x8' cedar fence boards at like $1.50 a board so I am not too worried if they last.

Top Bottom