Cut back on Black Pine help

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
Hey guys ,

Recently got a black pine with not much shape or style - wondering how much I can cut off in the season - and open to some style options if anyone is willing to give it ago?

Looks like it’s got some decent age . And will repot only next season due to having to get it super strong before that.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• E24B764B-CD9C-477B-8DE6-59395161E8B5.jpeg
    E24B764B-CD9C-477B-8DE6-59395161E8B5.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 150

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It doesn’t look like it needs that much pruning, but a good wiring and styling would help. The time to do that is mid-fall to winter.

South Africa? Is it still winter there? If so, you could probably wire it now. The time to repot is late winter, early spring.

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
It doesn’t look like it needs that much pruning, but a good wiring and styling would help. The time to do that is mid-fall to winter.

South Africa? Is it still winter there? If so, you could probably wire it now. The time to repot is late winter, early spring.

End of winter now hey. But regarding pruning/chop back I mean like styling - cause I can’t see anything besides maybe a shohin kinda tree?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Frankly, it’s really difficult to give styling advice based upon one picture taken from above at an odd angle.

It looks like the branches reach up. Old pine trees have horizontal or cascading branches, or branches that move slightly downwards. You can make that happen with wire.

I would need a lot more pictures to give you anything more specific, and, even then, it’s difficult.

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
@Adair M very true , yeh I was thinking slanting / bringing those long top branches down horizontally . As you said . I’ll try get more pics and see if you think that would work . But possibly best option too . Don’t have to remove anything really that will put stress .

you think the tree is strong enough to give a repot ? Just wanna give it a season In some Much better soil 😅

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M very true , yeh I was thinking slanting / bringing those long top branches down horizontally . As you said . I’ll try get more pics and see if you think that would work . But possibly best option too . Don’t have to remove anything really that will put stress .

you think the tree is strong enough to give a repot ? Just wanna give it a season In some Much better soil 😅
You’re really asking too much for me (or anyone) to tell from a single picture.

I just advised you on when the best time of year would be to repot if it’s warranted.

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
You’re really asking too much for me (or anyone) to tell from a single picture.

I just advised you on when the best time of year would be to repot if it’s warranted.
Okay cool yeh understand 😅 will try send a virtual 360degree images of it .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reckon this is the right path.

give it a season In some Much better soil

It should be an easy Repot since it's already in a container a bit too small. A gentle cleaning and tease out into some better soil for the growing season seems mandatory.

With no thick branches styling could wait.

It seems unhealthy and needlecasty already. Best work on that health first.

Sorce

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
@sorce ahhh thanks! Yeeeh I think so too . It’s definitely in some nasty soil. Cant really tell by the photo but it looks like it’s been in it for a while too

Attachments

• B1F8BD79-A500-419F-8BE6-2F57AA387624.jpeg
    B1F8BD79-A500-419F-8BE6-2F57AA387624.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 80

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce ahhh thanks! Yeeeh I think so too . It’s definitely in some nasty soil. Cant really tell by the photo but it looks like it’s been in it for a while too

Wow, that's bigger than it looks, which makes the pot even too smaller!

It seems like this situation is an impossible one, which I reckon led to your problems.

A pot too small, with a soil too wet.

This can very easily become a situation which is impossible to balance. Unless of course you have time to blow on the pot all day and water at any moment!🤣

Do you have good soil components?

I think you are sitting in your repotting window right now.

Sorce

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
@sorce yeh the pot is waaay too shallow for it hey😅
I do have some good soils, what would you recommend ratios for it ? For what is needed .

and pot size ? Much much larger?
thanks man

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce yeh the pot is waaay too shallow for it hey😅
I do have some good soils, what would you recommend ratios for it ? For what is needed .

and pot size ? Much much larger?
thanks man

The LxW seems ok, but it could afford another Inch depth at least.

You might as well be on the moon for all I know about what soil you should use!

We have gathered a good few SA folks I'm recent years, since my friend @YukiShiro stopped coming around. Someone must know what soil is good for you. I relate @Smoke climate yours. Hot Dry, long.

I feel like about 40%less of whatever is so retentive on the current mix will be close.

Sorce

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
@sorce hahah 😅 yeeeh Summers are nice and warm and hot . I do have Akadama and Pumice , Leca, and others - but don’t have lava rocks . Apparently Leca is quite similar to Lava Stone .

sooo if you think 50/50 Akadama pumice I can do that ?

Top Bottom