Cut off dead branches

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hi,
Repotted this juniper few months back. It severely browned out on the interior but morlst branches still have green branches in the tips.
I'm.also seing new growth mostly at the shoulder of some dead branches.
Shouldn't clean out the brown leaves to allow more sun and air into the tree ? Take out branches with complete brown leaves or leave them for the hope of any new branches that might still pop ?
Screenshot_20220903-134420_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220903-134448_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220903-134532_Gallery.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definately looks like this juniper has taken a big hit.

Yes, cut away branches that are brown from the tip down in short pieces. Each time check to see if the cut leaves a core of green tissues. If so stop cutting that branch and move onto another until you are done.

Take particular care in the areas that are sprouting new foliage. These are your hope for the future.

cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The new sprouts popping in places gives hope it will survive.
Be very careful with this tree. It is VERY weak. Be careful with watering to be sure it is neither too wet nor too dry.

Try to figure out and solve why it turned brown.
Was it watered enough?
Was it in extreme heat though juniper usually don't mind as long as they have enough water.
Another reason?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
It's one of two junipers I repotted from nursery soil. Both took a big hit although soil was not bad and I only half bare rooted . The second one is completely brown and believe is lost. This one is sprouting new growth as well as having few branches with green foliage at the tips so fingers crossed. Both are moderately watered and we didn't have a too hot summer this year. They are still in shade since repot and get couoke of hours of sun every day with the one that's worse getting a bit more sun. A shame as the one doing worse has a nice trunk with great movement. Will clean both abd water as suggested and hopefully they'll both make it.
Thanks

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
If the new sprouts show more growth would it be ok to fertilize in autumn so maybe tree picks up a bit more energy or do I hold off fertilizer till next spring?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let it grow until next spring.

By working with the roots, the roots became so weak they couldn’t provide enough water to the foliage as each needle transpired water. Absent other information, this seems the likely reason these trees crashed.

The roots are a reflection of the foliage. So imagine the amount of living roots are only enough to support the living needles you can see. This is why @Paradox is saying your tree is extremely weak.

Presently if you were to fertilize the amount of fertilizer needed would be equivalent to that of a very small nursery pot, despite the mass of the wood above ground.

Also be very careful to not overwater for this very same reason.

Good Luck
DSD sends

Reaction score
Hi I have a question I have juniper with some old dead branches what is the best way to remove a bark on long time dead branch I can use dremel or skalpel but it will leave mark and bark is sticking to deadwood strongly and I want to remove it to treat it with limesulfer . Should I wrap it in a wet towel firstl or what I can do

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would scrape it off with the edge of a sharp tool os a shard of glass. Takes a lot of time and patience but it looks more natural.

Reaction score
I would scrape it off with the edge of a sharp tool os a shard of glass. Takes a lot of time and patience but it looks more natural.
Thank you but do you think that wrapping old branch with a wet towel beforehand would help?

Reaction score
I have clean dead branch on one of my juniper but it doesn’t look good ( it’s still before applying limesulfer) currently have been sitting in a pot for last 3 months and is showing new growth so I would like to keep my cleaning work

Attachments

• 524CA888-F9F2-4E75-ABDE-D1723AF59C9D.jpeg
    524CA888-F9F2-4E75-ABDE-D1723AF59C9D.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom