Cut paste cut paste cut paste.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m all out and need some for next year. I wasn’t impressed with the last lot I had for deciduous trees as it was a bit too runny. What are people’s ”go to“ cut paste and where did you find it?

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
CUTPASTER Bonsai Cut Paste/Bonsai Pruning Compound 160g (GLAY)

sold on amazon, if you search for bonsai cut paste you'll see the picture. I don't know the brand name (I think it's cutpaster) but you'll recognize the picture. It's a thick paste, and it's really sticky, I like it for all cuts, especially medium or large ones.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CUTPASTER Bonsai Cut Paste/Bonsai Pruning Compound 160g (GLAY)

sold on amazon, if you search for bonsai cut paste you'll see the picture. I don't know the brand name (I think it's cutpaster) but you'll recognize the picture. It's a thick paste, and it's really sticky, I like it for all cuts, especially medium or large ones.
Yup, this is what I have too. I prefer the green lid.
Sold also on bonsai.de

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use a white woodworking glue, like Elmer's which is not the same formula as the child's white glue. I put it on with a que-tip and let it dry 24 hours before it gets wet. It stays clear and disappears over time.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow there are some really interesting options here!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
KY

just kidding, i use aquaphor jelly or euphorin. awesome stuff, buy it wholesale at a club like BJs

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I actually only use the green lid one, in both deciduous and conifers, I really like like the way it feels and sticks to the cut. I had forgotten about the lid differences until you pointed it out. Petroleum Jelly makes sense for Larch, I'll try it.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also bought the same paste (white lid) a month ago, but from Ibuki.
It ain't quite as fast as amazon, but being a relatively small hobby with few suppliers, I buy from the latter ones for both diversity's and quality's sake.

As a noob however, I have to wonder what's the difference between the 2 pastes tho.. Is it more like a marketing thing or does the distinction follow some more 'serious' reasons?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to wonder what's the difference between the 2 pastes tho.. Is it more like a marketing thing or does the distinction follow some more 'serious' reasons?
There is a huige discussion whether this stuff actually contains anything in the area of hormones. I do not think this has been conclusively settled.
I did not know the one was supposed to be for conifers and the other broadleaf trees. Used them intermingled. Have mainly found that I did not like the feel of the broadleaf type.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it more like a marketing thing or does the distinction follow some more 'serious' reasons?
I have mixed information about that.
In this video, the Kaneshin guy says (2'18) that the green one has more growth hormone than the white and thus is more suitable to trees with slower healing. At the same time, absolutely nothing is written on the box about such content and beside "keep out of reach from children" there is no warning about cleaning your hands after use or using gloves. Even in Japan where customer information is not as precise as it is in the E.U. and, I believe in the U.S. it is difficult for me to believe that there is actually growth hormones in it. Moreover, beside this video, I have never seen such affirmation written and some use advice ("if it has dried up, put it in warm water") seems contradictory to hormones being included in the paste.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a huige discussion whether this stuff actually contains anything in the area of hormones. I do not think this has been conclusively settled.
I did not know the one was supposed to be for conifers and the other broadleaf trees. Used them intermingled. Have mainly found that I did not like the feel of the broadleaf type.

I've recently read the thread about members favorable and others less, to the use of paste on wounds.. I guess I'll try both ways and see which option brings to better result (giving the state of things here in Bavaria: temp, humidity,..).
For now I have the broadleaf one and as soon as it's empty I'll get a shot at the other, as well... It will just take me 10 years or so to tell lol

Thanks @Alain BERTRAND !
Will have a look as soon as I come home, although it really seems like there's a general lack of evidence/information about the specific question.. I'll keep searching

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Ryan Neil says that they both are the same. The only difference is the color to match the bark of the tree.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan Neil says that they both are the same. The only difference is the color to match the bark of the tree.

The last time I researched this topic, this was the conclusion that I came to also. I have both and they feel the same to me - like thicker silly putty.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am going to disagree with Mr Neil there. The stuff has different textures. Something is different, besides colour.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A little late to reply to this, but I was watching one of Ryan's videos last night and he mentioned that the green lid one had hormones to promote callousing.

Top Bottom