Cut Paste for Different Types of Trees?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I'm seeing this a few places.
Cut paste for deciduous and for conifers. Is there a difference between the two?

All I can tell is color difference, can't imagine much else differing there.

I currently use this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJM7TMI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_6HRB3VXZ2P0CAJ9BQBXP

Will this work with conifers as well?

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The deciduous one has a component to induce tissue formation to help the formation of callous.

move not figured out why you don’t want that on conifers so I just use that one.

i also use the liquid that comes in the yellow tube and green top, it also induces healing but isn’t really a total barrier the way the putty is for large cuts.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cut paste for deciduous and for conifers. Is there a difference between the two?

I currently use this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJM7TMI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_6HRB3VXZ2P0CAJ9BQBXP

Thanks!
The difference is color. Green lid is brown color for blending in with conifer bark, white lid is gray in color for deciduous bark.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Thanks!
I use the white lid stuff but it can be a pain to work with if you don’t wet your fingers.

does the stuff in a tube dry hard?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I make my own. Take some colored latex caulk, or white and tint it with craft paint, and dilute it with a little water and been oil until it is a paste. For putty, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some duct seal out of electrical dept, it is almost the same stuff as Japanese stuff but only costs 4 bucks for a pound.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I've seen zero factual evidence to support that the green lid /white lid putty has any difference besides color. It does work well for large cuts, and I've probably eaten some quantity of it by licking my finger when applying it (to have it not stick to my finger).

The tube kind linked to in this thread works well for small cuts. I love it for BRTs, maples, etc. - the color matches well and a tiny dab easily seals small cuts.

Of course, these things may not actually work any better than wood glue, or duct seal, or mashed potatoes, or nothing at all. Opinions abound.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I make my own. Take some colored latex caulk, or white and tint it with craft paint, and dilute it with a little water and been oil until it is a paste. For putty, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some duct seal out of electrical dept, it is almost the same stuff as Japanese stuff but only costs 4 bucks for a pound.
That's awesome! Never knew that about duct seal. I'll add that to my shopping list this weekend.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I don't use as much sealer as most of you do. A single $11 tube lasts me 2 -3 years.

Top Bottom