Cut Paste Question

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I applied cut paste to a lot of the larger pruned branch wounds. Does the paste gradually wash off over time? Its been remarkably resilient and kind of unattractive to the eye. I think its the Joe Bonsai brand paste. Looks like wood glue but seems to stay soft. Hasn't seemed to hurt the plants any but each time it rains the area looks more unattractive as the paste seems to spread around.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adair uses that type stuff as a first dab on azalea, but then goes back and covers it with puddy.

That's the only good use I've read on that stuff.

The $1.25 block of electricians puddy at the depot is by and large the most economical and effective paste.

Sorce

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Sorce, your electricians life work really helps out with a lot of things in bonsai doesn't it? Have you ever experimented with using a thick wire insulation to wrap your wire in at branch contacts for guy wire work? But between copper and this, your experience really helps you out with finding good deals. Is there anything in electricians putty that has toxicity to plants? I would imagine it wouldn't but I know some compounds for that can have strange chemicals in them.

As for the putty, let it be unsightly, it is doing it's job. It will eventually fall off when it's job is done. Ryan Neil talked about that a few weeks back on a live q&a or stream. Can't remember which.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes it will fall or wear off over time

I use one on very large cuts that goes on bright orange in color, so its pretty unsightly. I don't care because it's not there to look pretty.

I sometimes use a mixture of modeling clay and vasoline on smaller cuts. Brown and grey blend right in. It also falls off once the callous forms

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, your electricians life work really helps out with a lot of things in bonsai doesn't it?

Lol! I know how to not fry myself and maybe a little more than a union electrician;)....but I ain't no sparky!

Have you ever experimented with using a thick wire insulation to wrap your wire in at branch contacts for guy wire work?

Yes...and a cigarette butt most recently. Cuz it was close!
That'd be more toxic than the putty I reckon!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The black spline used to hold screen wire in place works great for guy wires. Cut a little piece, and slip the wire thru the hole. Easy!

Cut paste: I use a variety. The orange stuff (Top Jin) has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties that are helpful on certain deciduous and broadleaf trees, especially azalea. It dries to the consistency as Elmers glue, and will dissolve over time. So I put a bit of the putty stuff over it a day later. The electricians putty works great and is nontoxic.

For Pines and junipers, if you want to callous over the scar, apply the putty. If you're making Jin's and Shari, don't.

Top Bottom