Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Toothpaste style
http://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_Tree_Care_Kyinol_Cut_Paste_p/cp1111.htm

Conifer cut paste
http://www.stonelantern.com/Conifer_Cut_Paste_Bonsai_Tree_Care_p/cp154c.htm

Non-conifer cut paste
http://www.stonelantern.com/Cut_Paste_for_Non_Conifers_Bonsai_Tree_Care_p/cp154n.htm

Or should I get all three...

I have a juniper...which is a conifer I believe... And a tropical Bougainvillea...and rooting the Taramix that I am unsure of...depends on how quick it grows...it is really short...and also rooting a weeping willow. It actually is a branch that fell off during the storm. Not a huge thick branch...but it splits like a double trunk we'll see if it roots. Though come spring...I may...see if I can hack off a thicker branch off that willow at the lake. (Hubby is on the board...so chances are good) if not...order in a tamarix from the nursery so I have a thicker trunk to work with than the one I have rooted.

So with that variation...just the tubes...or the toothpaste one as well? Stuff is still sitting in my shopping cart online...lol waiting to know what to do.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If I recall, your trees are all pretty small. You probably won't need any cutpaste. I never use it on small trees and use it very seldom on large ones -- especially junipers.

I'd hold off buying too many "bonsai" products until you've been in the game a while longer. For small trees simple garden shears will do everything you need to do.

Attachments

• ARS scissors.JPG
    ARS scissors.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 4

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I recall, your trees are all pretty small. You probably won't need any cutpaste. I never use it on small trees and use it very seldom on large ones -- especially junipers.

I'd hold off buying too many "bonsai" products until you've been in the game a while longer. For small trees simple garden shears will do everything you need to do.

Thanks...though...I think I read that bougies need cut paste. If you feel the juniper and it is tiny...doesn't need any...I'll pass on that. But I believe I have read that bougies needed it or they could get rot. :confused: but I'm not 100% certain.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I use Elmers wood glue sometimes- it's cheap, works and is easily removed later on

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The reason for the rooting projects...free material to mess up! Hoping I have time to weep branches. With leaving the country June 6th for a mission trip. I doubt I take the rooted material to the bonsai guy...just the actual bonsai material...I have a feeling I am expecting a lot from my rooted material. :(

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you feel you need to use a paste use the elmers glue for now. Many of the paste materials are pricey but mainly because they better match the color of the specimen(s) not because they do any better. Down the road for show is a different story... I use the waterproof wood elmers.

Grimmy

Top Bottom