Cutting candles twice in a year

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So around where I live the time to cut candles are around July 4th or so, depending on the size of the tree.

My question is the candles on my JBP have already extended and partially opened, by the time it's July, it's hard to even tell where the candles are anymore.

When I see instructional videos of people cutting candles, they are when they actually look like candles and haven't opened yet.

Is it possible to cut candles in early spring and then again in July?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So around where I live the time to cut candles are around July 4th or so, depending on the size of the tree.

My question is the candles on my JBP have already extended and partially opened, by the time it's July, it's hard to even tell where the candles are anymore.

When I see instructional videos of people cutting candles, they are when they actually look like candles and haven't opened yet.

Is it possible to cut candles in early spring and then again in July?
I will break overly long and strong candles in the spring, but I only completely remove candles once in mid summer. Essentially, when you’re removing the candles, you’re removing all of this year’s current growth and cutting back to last years needles.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will break overly long and strong candles in the spring, but I only completely remove candles once in mid summer. Essentially, when you’re removing the candles, you’re removing all of this year’s current growth and cutting back to last years needles.

I would have to agree with all of the above. :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is exactly the question that most people who know what candles are would ask.
When these JBP guys talk about decandling,they aren't even talking about candles. They are actually referring to the shoots.
The things that candles turn into when they open up.
Scots and mugo owners don't use confusing terms.
We break some candles in the spring before they turn to shoots in summer in order to balance some growth.
And then when they open up we cut them back if not remove them altogether to induce backbudding.

Top Bottom