Cutting Ficus Microcarpa Ginseng Guidance?

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello everybody,

I was gifted a Ficus Microcarpa from the grocery store and was wondering what to do with it. I would like to cut the tree and start it again as a bonsai but I have no idea what to do with that. Most videos I saw on cuttings were based on small branches.

Here is a picture of the tree:

Here is where I would plan on cutting:

Should I cut the tree? I believe that it would give me a better foundation to start working on a more proper bonsai rather than this tree and its big roots. If so, how should I proceed on cutting the tree (correct procedure) and what time of the year should I do this? I plan on putting it in a different pot, since this pot does not have proper drainage. I also am wondering if the soil for this tree is adequate or should I give it new soil when the time comes. It seems to absorb a lot of the water which is not always the best for bonsai as I've read.

Thank you to everyone for your help! This community has been awfully helpful lately and guiding me on my bonsai journey!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most ficus respond well to pruning so you can safely cut this one.
You need to be aware that ginseng ficus are grafted. The roots are a different type to the top. If you cut too low the new shoots that grow will be very different to the foliage you have now. The line you have proposed may be just a fraction too low to be certain to preserve the smaller ginseng leaf type. As the new shoots grow check to make sure you don't have any rootstsock sprouting. Rootstock usually grows faster and larger than the ginseng type and can soon overwhelm the good foliage.

If you have really good growing conditions inside you can cut and repot any time but I prefer to do both in summer when the trees are healthiest and growing well. Any time from late spring through to mid summer is OK for most ficus. The soil does not look great so repot into more modern mix would probably be a great idea as soon as conditions allow. In the meantime don't be tempted to water too much. Ficus tolerate being slightly dry better than the cope with wet feet.

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you so much for your info! I will make sure I repot the plant in a manner that allows proper drainage.

I am not quite sure if I was clear enough in my original post but I would actually like to keep the top part (above the red line) and start that section as a new bonsai. Do you think that is a feasible option? If so, do I need to use root paste and just stick the cutting into some bonsai soil or go about using a different procedure? Since these trees are normally grafted, does that affect anything or should I just dispose of the top section?

Thank you again!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Apologies for misunderstanding. Your intention is clear now.
I have not bothered to grow this species but most ficus strike quite well from cuttings so it would be worth a try with the top of this one. Root compound does help with speed and reliability of roots so probably worth the extra effort.
Easy to strike species can grow in potting ,mix but propagating mix is better as it is inert with fewer bugs and fungi that could harm the cuttings. Propagating mix is usually 50/50 perlite/peat (or coir) or 50/50 coarse sand/peat (coir). You should be able to find a small bag at your plant nursery to save the trouble of finding and mixing ingredients.
Cuttings need high humidity so they don't desiccate while there's no roots to drink more water. Put your cutting pots in a larger plastic tub or cover the pot with a cut down plastic drink bottle or plastic bag. The cover will maintain high humidity around the leaves until roots grow.
Best time is warmer weather but you should be able to strike ficus cuttings at other times of year if you can maintain warm conditions.

The graft should not affect your plan. I think they are grafted so the growers can combine the thick roots with smaller leaves. If you can get the top to grow roots it will continue to grow well on it own roots and will probably end up as a far more attractive bonsai.

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh sick, thanks man!

I will update on how things go whenever I decide to go through with it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Or, you could wire these long branches into laterals. You got a tree there, it just needs adjusting!

Top Bottom