Cutting my Pinus

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

Just wanted to document my new Jefferey Pine project. I recently was up in Tahoe,CA and NV and saw some beautiful Jeffery pines. They seem to love growing from rocks so eventually I might go that route.

Wanted to post some pics of my process and hopefully elicit some advice from some more savy growers and bonsai artist. Also just have a place to post progress.

My first initial questions are:
1. How wet do I need to keep this sand? The humidity dome should keep moisture but not sure how much I’ll need to add!

2. How long should I keep in dome?351014C5-38FB-4FC3-8D7F-2F3DDAE727DC.jpeg71511A6C-2530-452D-A9A5-1DE1FE1F5FAF.jpegBC5ADC9A-8286-416A-A7C0-CD8DADBD1D93.jpeg2F18FFD8-F8E4-4C53-92A2-9310FD822865.jpeg32E29DB1-0F47-4E5A-B855-DA201770D631.jpeg

All comments and followers welcome!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Feels like we should have a thread on pine-seedling cutting experiences from species to species!
Please do tell how they turn out!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
1. Can't say, I'd keep it moist. Like with all cuttings of all plant species.
2. Keep the dome on until they have roots. Unless you're regulating the humidity in the room.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The name made me think..

His own Mohel?

🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, excited to see the progressions documented here.

@hinmo24t stole my FIRST “rascally idea” (or “beat me to it”, rather) 🤣🤣

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
1. Can't say, I'd keep it moist. Like with all cuttings of all plant species.
2. Keep the dome on until they have roots. Unless you're regulating the humidity in the room.
You know what I can expect as far as how long roots take to form? I have humidifier in the room, stays around 55-60% in there

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I started them yesterday, here is my post. I only took about 9, so far so good but not sure how long it might take them to root or how quickly I’ll notice their decline if that’s the outcome. @casun @cmeg1

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You know what I can expect as far as how long roots take to form? I have humidifier in the room, stays around 55-60% in there
I honestly can't say. With some plain regular rooting hormone scots, jbp and ponderosa take 1-6 months to root. Rooting times seem to vary a lot, even within species.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I started them yesterday, here is my post. I only took about 9, so far so good but not sure how long it might take them to root or how quickly I’ll notice their decline if that’s the outcome. @casun @cmeg1
I have used this stem cutting technique with JBP, JRP, Scots and Austrian Black Pine seedlings ... I had success with all. I left mine under the domes for about 2 weeks before removing the lids ... I misted a few times a day for about a week or so after that just to keep humidity up somewhat during the transition out of the domes. You appear to have plenty of moisture in your domes right now. I noticed quite obvious growth occur about 4-5 weeks after cutting, which is when I could be confident things were growing underground. Note though my experience relates to outdoors. No heat mats/grow lights/humidifiers etc... not sure if that helps, but thought I'd add just in case.
Good luck!
🍺

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What’s up Crazies!?

Here’s a 4 month update. Things seem to have taken, of the 18 cuttings I did, 4 were taken to plant Jesus and 14 are going strong. Some stronger than other obviously!

This is the field of players....

E15B87BF-32D9-47B6-9FC6-C730F97DE359.jpeg6AB246D9-192F-4E97-89D2-F0585DF5C950.jpeg

These are probably my two healthiest and most vigorous thus far....

A1414ED5-115A-4E20-B6E7-BE16D53B392C.jpegF8DCB8C3-29C6-4038-9AB6-3F694A8A1CAB.jpeg

For contrast, here are two of the most vigorous that I did NOT cut.....

E8711442-3EBB-4A23-BC8B-780375168CCB.jpeg56880E50-C83A-498A-81E8-BC4019DE2588.jpeg

Getting some good lower shoots/branching and seeing some apical buds forming....

B63282EB-158F-41D3-9002-42162EBD69F8.jpeg30ED9185-DDD9-47B7-A42F-3F44224AB99D.jpeg

All in all, I am happy with the results thus far. I am starting to see some yellowing tips more than I’d like, so I’m thinking I’m going to back off of the fertilizer a bit and give them more fresh drinks of water. Great advice from @cmeg1 !!!

All thoughts and comments are welcome!!!!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you're doing a great job!
Do you drain your trays, or do you just let them drink it all?

If you don't drain them, that might be the bottle neck where the nutrient concentration gets on the higher end if the water level drops. A good scrub every now and then should clear that up.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think you're doing a great job!
Do you drain your trays, or do you just let them drink it all?

If you don't drain them, that might be the bottle neck where the nutrient concentration gets on the higher end if the water level drops. A good scrub every now and then should clear that up.

I have dumped them a few times but I want sure if it would be a nice safeguard to let them keep drinking. Up to this point I hadn’t considered them getting “too much” nutrition so it hadn’t crossed my mind.

I will be monitoring and regulating this much more now.

My next curiosity is when I should transition these into the actual sun?!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I grew indoor pines for a couple weeks, maybe a few months. They went outside in spring and got sunburned a little. But no real lasting damage.
So I'd say spring is a good time.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I grew indoor pines for a couple weeks, maybe a few months. They went outside in spring and got sunburned a little. But no real lasting damage.
So I'd say spring is a good time.

So that would be right about meow! 😃👍🏼

I have a nice shaded covered area I’ll transition them to for a week or two.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Make it four weeks and you have a deal!
I'm not kidding, they might take a while to get adjusted.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a generous offer, but I'll respectfully decline.
JBP are my nemesis. I can't keep them alive, can't even keep them healthy.

I'm going for European and US natives, I got a bunch of longaeva, ponderosa, jack pine, rigida, sylvestris, mugo and halepensis going.

Top Bottom