Cutting off larger limbs?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have found when cutting off limbs that are say 1/4-3/8" diameter, even when using cut paste, the sap bleeds from the wound and runs down the trunk leaving white rosin streaks down the trunk. And even when cut in dead winter when trees are supposed to be dormant.

I will be cutting off a limb that is ca. 1 1/4" in diameter some time this winter. Is there any tricks or tips to seal the cambium so the rosin doesn't leak out all over the place. I have wondered if you can cauterize the wound and it would close up the rosin tubes. Use either a small propane torch or a hot soldering iron to do it with.

Any suggestions or help in this area?

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't quite understand why it bothers you. These obviously are new, non-showable plants that will grow and new bark will form and old bark -- and the white resin -- will flake off well before these turn into bonsai.

Sap is tree cut paste (among other things. Trees do NOT "bleed" to death.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for the suggestions.

Attachments

• future-trunk.jpg
    future-trunk.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Mac,
Thats a great looking pine. Did you collect it and what kind is it?
I always cut pine limbs in winter and leave a stub of about equal length as the width of the branch being cut. It will still run some sap but less as the branch collar stops feeding that branch. Leave the stub for at least a year more if it is larger then carve it back to the branch collar.

Hope this helps,
Bob O

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bob, Thank you for the reply. That is useful information. I could leave the stump long enough so when the first flush of sap comes down it will be on the part that will be removed later.

The tree is a Jack Pine. Variety called "Uncle Fogy". Weeping form of pine. I think it has a great deal of potential and only time will tell. Bought from a local nursery.

Attachments

• CIMG2506.jpg
    CIMG2506.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG2504.jpg
    CIMG2504.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In the photo above where you see the whole tree there is a black square about 2/3rds of the way up. That is a black nursery pot. I have started an attempt to air layer the leader off this tree. I know that pines are very difficult to air layer and it may fail, but it's coming off one way or the other. Might as well try and salvage another tree out of this. These things ain't cheap.

Reaction score
If you find it does bleed profusely you can use the Strangulation Method. leave a stub about 2" long and wrap a piece of copper wire around it and tighten very tightly. It is very efficient at stopping bleeding.

Grant

Reaction score
Ok,

Here are two strangled stumps on an old Japanese Five Needle Pine

Attachments

• Strangle1+.bmp
    192.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Strangle2+.bmp
    192.7 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That addresses exactly what I needed to solve. Many thanks for the response.

Regards,
Mac

Top Bottom