Cutting off trunk

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I air layered the top of this Japanese maple last year. I want to cut off the top 90° angle. As that portion of the trunk is dropping bark and will most likely die off. I'm in northern California with moderate weather from now till the end of spring in June. Is now a good time to do it? any information and inspiration regarding this tree would be much appreciated.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I think you should wait until it leafs out and make your cut at the new leader to save you some time down the road
That's kind of what I was thinking. I get a little overzealous when it comes to timing on repotting air layers and cutting back. I know I shouldn't rush things especially when it comes to bonsai.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
On a side note. Do you think that is a ground layer graft at the base of the trunk. I've been thinking it is, if so, in my opinion not that bad.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't see anything that looks like a graft, are you talking about that big root? It needs planted much lower whatever you do. Maybe make some small wounds and bury it deeper after you cut back those big roots

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On a side note. Do you think that is a ground layer graft at the base of the trunk. I've been thinking it is, if so, in my opinion not that bad.
Idk what you mean by `ground layer graft`, but I would recommend considering on ground-layering right about the roots, to develop and achieve a superior nebari with radial roots.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I don't see anything that looks like a graft, are you talking about that big root? It needs planted much lower whatever you do. Maybe make some small wounds and bury it deeper after you cut back those big roots
The crinkling just above the roots is what I was referring to. I have wanted to cut some of the unsightly large roots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd go in this order, being sure to get that cascade started with the first layer, then get it, then fix the base.

Capture+_2021-02-19-19-28-32.png

Sorce

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I want to cut the trunk just above the upright portion of the tree. That area would be several inches above your yellow mark. Just above the last branch that is growing. I believe the trunk above that is dying off as it has no branches and the bark is starting to peel off. Should I do the cut now or once it has started leafing out

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry, I missed the possible dead trunk part.

I'd be most interested in those 2 bends over the base.

If the green and yellow airlayers are a no go, that low branching is nice enough to work the base.

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Chop tridents mid summer.
And i would ground layer for better nebari, but that is my opinion.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't know. I think I would start over again, with a different tree. I see nothing about that tree that I like...sorry!

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Is now a good time to cut the trunk back? Or should I wait? I am having a hard time downloading pics. The tree is full of leaves

Top Bottom