Cuttings....and more cuttings

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Figured I'll post some pics of my cuttings that I've started to plant up into single pots. I probably have around 500 cuttings here. Mostly are azaleas (about a dozen different cultivars), flowering cherry, rhododendron, magnolia.

Once they are all potted up I'll be moving them into a large cold frame for the winter. In spring I'll be happy if I get 50% survival rate even though all the cuttings have their own roots now.

@JudyB and @Brian Van Fleet how are your cuttings doing?

20191008_180515.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is excellent success. Good work! Look fantastic

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What was your rooting medium? Looks like vermiculite and sand or something?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have not lifted mine to see as they never budded up. But they are still green when scratched, so I'm waiting to see if they magically awake in the spring. If not, I'll try again.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice. It certainly looks like you have been diligent, and it is good to see that pay off. I have a laissez faire attitude toward cuttings, but nevertheless had good results with quince, azalea and sekka hinoki this year, but had many more failures with other varieties.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What was your rooting medium? Looks like vermiculite and sand or something?

Medium is sifted fines of NAPA 8822 and Condor equivalent. I didn't want to throw the fines away so I used them for the cuttings.

I have not lifted mine to see as they never budded up. But they are still green when scratched, so I'm waiting to see if they magically awake in the spring. If not, I'll try again.

I hope your cuttings make it. I'm still interested in trading if you are.

Nice. It certainly looks like you have been diligent, and it is good to see that pay off. I have a laissez faire attitude toward cuttings, but nevertheless had good results with quince, azalea and sekka hinoki this year, but had many more failures with other varieties.

Thanks! I can honestly tell you I've had more failures than successes in propagation. But you will never learn what works and what doesn't unless you try it for yourself.

What azalea cultivars do you have? Would you be interested in possibly trading some? A majority of the cuttings retained their flower buds so in theory if these cuttings make it through winter a good portion should flower. Those that will flower I intend to pot them up as mame bonsai and grow them as such.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Medium is sifted fines of NAPA 8822 and Condor equivalent. I didn't want to throw the fines away so I used them for the cuttings.

I hope your cuttings make it. I'm still interested in trading if you are.

Thanks! I can honestly tell you I've had more failures than successes in propagation. But you will never learn what works and what doesn't unless you try it for yourself.

What azalea cultivars do you have? Would you be interested in possibly trading some? A majority of the cuttings retained their flower buds so in theory if these cuttings make it through winter a good portion should flower. Those that will flower I intend to pot them up as mame bonsai and grow them as such.
I certainly would trade for some new varieties of azalea. I prefer to wait until next fall after mine have been potted individually and make it through a summer. I have waka-e-bisu satsuki and kakuo, which I understand to be a satsuki kusianum hybrid. It has tiny dime to nickel size flowers.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I certainly would trade for some new varieties of azalea. I prefer to wait until next fall after mine have been potted individually and make it through a summer. I have waka-e-bisu satsuki and kakuo, which I understand to be a satsuki kusianum hybrid. It has tiny dime to nickel size flowers.

Sounds good! I too want to see what makes it past winter. I'll be posting updated pics as the time passes by.

Top Bottom