Cuttings How To?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'd like to start some cuttings of some differnt varieties of Chinese Juniper. Was wondering if anyone had any special advice for these? I've heard lots of differnt things in terms of how long it takes and how to do it?

I'm going to use pumice, powder root hormone and put them in my small green house and mist about every other day. I'm pretty un-experienced with cuttings, please let me know if you have any advice.

Thanks, really appriciate it!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You need to get this book:

The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture, by Dirr and Heuser.

It has tons of species-specific information.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You'll be fine with the exception of misting...which you'll need to do several times every day at first. J. chinensis is very easy to root, at almost any time of year, as long as they don't freeze right after you strike them. Get cuttings about pencil-thick, since they take off faster once they've rooted. Little ones take a couple years to really get going. I've had about 90% success with J. chinensis, and except for them, tridents and psuedocydonia, I pretty much stink at cuttings.:p

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yenling your'e bark-ing up the right tree, if you can have them "contained" to keep the humidity up, it will help with the several times a day for the misting. By contained I mean tented or in an aquarium or some such, I get these ice creame containers (take out) that have clear tops styrofoam bottoms that work out pretty well. Carl Rosner sets up a small frame and covers it with something like a dry cleaning bag to keep the humidity in, calls it his ICU. Just keep an eye on too much humidity so they don't damp off like seedlings.

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used these :
http://growerssolution.com 6IPHD and 1020nh
I made some holes in the bottom for drainage. I have used these with Juniper, Jap.maple, zelkova and cryptomeria and had a high success rate with all of them.

Top Bottom