Cuttings-Winter prep???

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_2399.JPG
Left to Right- shirasawanum Autumn Moon, palmatum Viridis, Malus Prairie Fire (up-slipped to 6")
DSC_2401.JPG

I got these from Brent back in June I think. Up-slipped the Crabapple on the right and one of the
A.s. Autumn Moons, and not pictured - an A.p. Katsura. The little A.p. Viridis in the centre
is my biggest concern for Wintering. It's in a 2.5" pot. (decking is 2x4's)

Besides spraying fungicide and insecticide, what should I be doing right now
to ensure survival through Winter? I was supposed to have already up slipped all of them
but was lazy, busy, and weary of the heat as well. At least I got the stone finished around my fireplace
and saved about $1500 or so. I have all of these in ground I can layer, but had to try some cuttings.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Winter care for cuttings from Brent. First these are all over one year old, fully rooted cuttings, Brent does not sell cuttings without a full set of roots. Therefore winter care is exactly the same as what you would do for an older tree of the same species in a pot, in your area. How do you winter your other bonsai?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So Random! Nice Saving!

S
DSC_2405.JPGDSC_2406.JPGDSC_2408.JPG
Hi Sorce! Random is Life, Life is Random.
All the black walnut was locally grown, I cut the corbels from a neighbors tree he had cut down.
The mantle was double live edged and 27" across at the base x 10', grown about 30 mins West of here.
This is the 1st stone I've ever laid. Took all Summer, but that's where any of my spare time went
having to work 6 days/wk.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Winter care for cuttings from Brent. First these are all over one year old, fully rooted cuttings, Brent does not sell cuttings without a full set of roots. Therefore winter care is exactly the same as what you would do for an older tree of the same species in a pot, in your area. How do you winter your other bonsai?
Hello Leo!
I appreciate your input. I feel so ignorant when it comes to deciduous bonsai...and may others honestly,
which gets this thread into the "New to Bonsai" forum.
I used to heel everything in, no longer an option, ran out of room.
Now, I take everything up under my sunroom on the N side of the house
against the house, and out maybe 3-4' on the ground, huddled up.
I mulch around as if they were heeled in covering the soil, and pot,
up the trunk some depending on foliage location
(harder to do with cascades and low sacrifice branches) and mulch between pots
watering now n then.

So as if in a cave, but fair air flow. I'll have to snap a pic of this area. I can't find it right now in my pics.
Year before last, we hit -18ºF one night, not typical. We hit 0 to -0º occasionally but not prolonged typically. It's the untypical weather that kills most things that normally would fair well.

Top Bottom