Cuttings

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been attempting to grow trees from cuttings, unssuccessfuly, for three years now...I've purchased 2 different kinds of rooting hormone from lowes...one liquid and one powder...The descriptions on the products didnt list what plants the hormone is compatable with...but I tried them anyways...I've even tried using crushed asprin....Ive tried untreated cuttings.....The cuttings that I use have been all new growth trident maples and Japanese maples...I'm planning on trying some fukien tea and ficus ben's this fall...does anyone have any advice that will increase my success rate(currently @ 0)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated ;)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Try using The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Micheal Dirr

In the mean time

When are you doing the cuttings? What strength is your hormone? What is your propogation set up?

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been dipping the ends of the cuttings into the rooting hormone before shaking off the excess (as directed) Then I use a pencil to make holes in my soil...then I insert the cuttings into the holes and then I gently pack the soil around the cutting. I mist at least once a day. I've tried potting soil, bonsai soil, sphagnum, the ground....I've tried doing this indoors and outdoors.

I usually do the cuttings in the spring just after the new growth develops...Im asking now because I've noticed some unsightly new growth on my fukien tea...been wanting to turn it into more fukien tea ;)

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been working for about two year with cutting more or less successfully... mostly less. But I've increased my percentage by increasing the humidity by using plastic bags around the pots. I do this in a shaded area so they don't get too hot.

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey thanks for the help....great website brent!! Cant wait to start in the spring with my trident maple. I bought a 9' Trident maple about 2 years ago....its bushy, /w incredibly short internode spaces...thousands of possibilities....

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the help....great website brent!! Cant wait to start in the spring with my trident maple. I bought a 9' Trident maple about 2 years ago....its bushy, /w incredibly short internode spaces...thousands of possibilities....

9 Foot! Wow...
Time for "Airlayers" ;)
Mom

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
When you do the ficus you'll find that it's a lot easier. I just put them in a glass of water in the kitchen window and get roots within a few weeks, nor hormone. I've done them pretty much any time of year though they do go faster in summer.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I've been working for about two year with cutting more or less successfully... mostly less. But I've increased my percentage by increasing the humidity by using plastic bags around the pots. I do this in a shaded area so they don't get too hot.

I like to use clear plastic 2 liter bottles, I cut the bottom out keeping the top with the lid on it. Then when it's time to intro to normal air ya just take the lid off.
Mom

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Best of luck on the cutting Zappa. I would like to point out that although doing cuttings can be fun and rewarding the end result will take forever to mature in to material usable for bonsai. Have fun but don't get bogged down in trying to propagate everything you own just because you have a branch that needs to be removed. Unless I have a rare cultivar I simple cut what is not needed and toss it in the compost pile.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zappa, if your tree really has great short internodes, I would recommend air layering, which is very easy with a healthy trident, and will provide you with larger material that is better developed. Done properly you will have the beginnings of wonderful nebari. Do some research on it, a lot has been written online.

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Chris. I've tried air layering about 9 times on the tree in the past 2 years...each one failed...I keep getting spiders and mold in my sphagnum rap...

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I've tried air layering about 9 times on the tree in the past 2 years...each one failed...I keep getting spiders and mold in my sphagnum rap...

Perhaps it is time for a different method?
I have some that I do with Miracle grow potting mix in a plastic nursery pot that I cut in half and tape back together around the airlayer (with Hormex).
Mom

Top Bottom