Cycad/cycas revoluta/sago palm leaf reduction

projectpat

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello I was wondering if anyone in the community has information regarding leaf reduction in cycads. More specifically cycad revoluta or sago palm. I see lots of sagos in my area and lots of different leaf sizes. Once they have hardened off of course, I know they will be different as they start to leaf out in spring. I have seen old sagos 3-4ft tall with fronds only 1-2ft long, but also ones with 3-4ft long fronds. I don't know if this is genetic or what, but sometimes they are right next to each other with different length fronds. Anyways any information would be great.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I believe one isn't a proper Sago.
I had a guy into them and been gifted a Couple.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have had Zamia, and Sago for a number of decades. If you prune roots at repotting, frequently the fronds will drop, especially with Zamia. Then they can sit dormant, as much as 18 months, before sending out a new set of fronds. The new set of fronds, can be smaller if the pot size is small.

A coarse, dry-ish mix, mostly grit or gravel, and kept on the dry side, will give you shorter fronds. As fronds are expanding, let them get a touch dry between watering. It helps keep the fronds shorter.

Being pot bound helps keep the fronds shorter.

Full sun helps keep the fronds shorter. Full shade will give you the largest fronds.

It is somewhat difficult, too dry, and they will die, too wet, and fronds get huge. The fronds diminish in size as the trunk ages. When kept in the same pot for decades, each subsequent year the new fronds will be smaller and smaller. So here again being pot bound helps.

Top Bottom