Cypress Knee or just a root

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a lot of growth for 7 years. I mean in 7 years I could plant a sapling and have one 20ft tall??

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not a root, as you asked I answered, on a side note it looks to be growing ok considering the chop - to me it could be pretty damn nice in 2 more years... Honest it depends on personal perspective and goals not overall opinions that are based on others perspectives and goals - go for it! I can see your objective :)

Grimmy

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is the significance of the knee? Does that make the tree special in some way?

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
@GrimLore no chop I found it like that. Beavers or just a hard life. I thought it was dead when I found it.
@AZbonsai In my travels I have only seen mature cypress put out cypress knees. I never had one produce a knee in a pot or container. If this is a knee it will be first for me.
@choppychoppy no not a lot of growth. It guess it had a hard life.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am so ignorant about cypress that I did not know they could have knees. Interesting. I think that would take your tree to another level it seems.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
@AZbonsai only folks that grow or in my case attempt to grow cypress are really aware of the knee formation. It usually only happens to mature or old cypress.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
@Mellow Mullet yes the root is still alive. The other side of the tree has another root that looks like a blade, about seven or eight inches long.

Top Bottom