Cypress: white spots - fungus or...?

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
While checking my trees, I discovered white spots on a Cyprus on several branches. They are not sticky and if I rub on them they are easily removed.The last three days we had frost at night, but I don't think they are rhyme spots, considering the other trees don't have this. Is it a fungus? Or what else could it be?

IMG_0587 kopie.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
It looks to me like a juniper not cypres, probably Juniperus phoenicea, and those I think could be resin spots produced by the tree

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks to me like a juniper not cypres, probably Juniperus phoenicea, and those I think could be resin spots produced by the tree
Thanks, it was a gift and was told it was a cypress 🙈

IMG_0463.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The orange berries are typical for phoenicea!
They grow all over the Ardeche region in France. Together with sabina and communis they form the mediterranean native three.
Turbinata cultivars have very nice foliage, like itoigawa.
Cypress makes more woody berries.

Phoeniceas make resin spots a lot, but they're also plagued by scale if scale gets a chance.
I'm growing a bunch from seed and I imported some from Portugal. But their growth is sloooow compared to other junipers.
They're very prone to develop rust too. Even salt water spray from the sea doesn't prevent rust from entering.

I treat mine against scale every year, because my other junipers usually get a small infestation.

Here's one in the Ardeche hills. Not a turbinata unfortunately. They form a small cluster ranging from Morrocco to Eastern Spain and the Spanish isles.
IMG_20210815_144714.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Here in the canaries grows the Turbinata but sadly I have to say that usually they dont have specially good foliage, sometimes you can find them with tight growth but not anything like itoigawa or kishu

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here in the canaries grows the Turbinata but sadly I have to say that usually they dont have specially good foliage, sometimes you can find them with tight growth but not anything like itoigawa or kishu
Mallorca had a lot of them, especially near the beaches - somewhere in the south - there are populations with super tight foliage. I forgot that Mallorca isn't part of the Canaries.
The ones I saw in Tenerife did indeed have less tight foliage. But I found other cool stuff, like Ganoderma lucidum growing in the wild.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yeah maybe the mallorca sabinas have tighter foliage, the wild olives in mallorca (ullastres) have the tiniest leaves!

Top Bottom