Cypress Yardadori

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I noticed I have a cypress hiding in my side yard inside overgrowth and would like to dig it up for a bonsai. Looking for advice. When to collect, any special notes for collecting this species etc.? Aftercare? It's close to 6 feet tall and less than 3" at the base. Never worked with a cypress before so this could be fun.

This was the best I could do photo wise as there's other trees growing all around.

Attachments

• Cypress.jpg
    Cypress.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 111

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know nothing of the species. But I’m always amazed at the amount of people that collect trees they have easy access to . With no pre prep work . While a tree is on all its original roots it can be chopped back and gat maximum response . Careful excavation around the trunk . The addition of bonsai style soil and a fertilizer regime . Can promote a compact rootball for a easy successful collection . Considering the current date . I would start some root work now . Possibly more root cut back in spring . And or chop the tree back plan on a spring collection a year from this coming spring . Of course you could just dig it up in the spring . But my suggestions will improve its survival chances . And five years from know will not have slowed its development

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know nothing of the species. But I’m always amazed at the amount of people that collect trees they have easy access to . With no pre prep work . While a tree is on all its original roots it can be chopped back and gat maximum response . Careful excavation around the trunk . The addition of bonsai style soil and a fertilizer regime . Can promote a compact rootball for a easy successful collection . Considering the current date . I would start some root work now . Possibly more root cut back in spring . And or chop the tree back plan on a spring collection a year from this coming spring . Of course you could just dig it up in the spring . But my suggestions will improve its survival chances . And five years from know will not have slowed its development
Excellent response. Thank you. No idea why I didn't even contemplate that . Probably a psychological issue in which I feel I the tree is more "mine" if it is in a grow box in my backyard as opposed to in the ground in my side yard. I'm going to clean the area up and maybe wire. Otherwise, I'll study up on cypress and start work in earnest next spring with the tree in the ground.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent response. Thank you. No idea why I didn't even contemplate that . Probably a psychological issue in which I feel I the tree is more "mine" if it is in a grow box in my backyard as opposed to in the ground in my side yard. I'm going to clean the area up and maybe wire. Otherwise, I'll study up on cypress and start work in earnest next spring with the tree in the ground.
Sorry when I reread my response it sounds kind of sarcastic at first . That was not my intentions . I would do some work now not wait till spring . Roots grow in fall . Maybe trim it back to promote back budding . Consider what’s around it maybe . With a eye to getting more light to it . Fertilizer spike near the trunk water around the trunk . Considering your location . I don’t know what you grow . But a lot of us in the north east have white cedar thuja accidentalis . My understanding is they act very similar good luck

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry when I reread my response it sounds kind of sarcastic at first . That was not my intentions . I would do some work now not wait till spring . Roots grow in fall . Maybe trim it back to promote back budding . Consider what’s around it maybe . With a eye to getting more light to it . Fertilizer spike near the trunk water around the trunk . Considering your location . I don’t know what you grow . But a lot of us in the north east have white cedar thuja accidentalis . My understanding is they act very similar good luck
LOL, I didn't read any sarcasm into your response. I actually appreciated it and think it makes a lot of sense.

victorC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cypress are collected only in the coldest day of the year. They must be dormant before attempting any root work. I would not attempt it in advance of collection.
At collection, while dorment is the time that you chop.
Pot up and set in pan of water. In springg it will rebud and grow out.
Wiring is done in spring after regrowth.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You sure this is a cypress? If so, any idea what kind?

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You sure this is a cypress? If so, any idea what kind?
Ha. Not sure it is a cypress actually. Looking at it again, maybe it's thuja. Not sure I would bother with thuja.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pic is not clear . But yes step one is positive UD what it is not is BC bald cypress and diffidently not eastern white cedar Thuja . ( thuja are often used for bonsai but mainly for there rot resistant dead wood on collected trees ) ERC eastern red cedar is a possibility as is multiple false cypress species need better close up of foliage and trunk and stem also any history ie is it a planted landscape plant or a native

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmmmm. I'll take some better pics. Definitely not BC. And I did not plant it, so it's been there for at least 20 years or planted itself. Frankly, I only recently noticed it because of bonsai. My son has an ERC yamadori that I can actually compare it to.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Attached are some more pics to assist with the identification. I cannot tell the difference between ERC and Chamaecyparis. Seed cones would make this a little easier I guess.

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 33
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 25
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 24
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 34

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ran your pics thru my plant identifier App . The 2 best the foliage with your hand behind it and the clear trunk pic . Both come up as Hinoki Cypress the other 2 come up as ERC . I’ve only had the app this summer . I’ve noticed it will say ERC for most not perfectly clear pics of juniper including stuff I’m positive is not like shimpaku . If the app says anything else so far it’s been correct . Plus both clear pics don’t seem exactly right for ERC to me . So as far as I’m concerned pretty safe bet it’s Hinoki . Great timing I’m killing time at the Canadian national arboretum will look around for a Hinoki and run it thru the app

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ran your pics thru my plant identifier App . The 2 best the foliage with your hand behind it and the clear trunk pic . Both come up as Hinoki Cypress the other 2 come up as ERC . I’ve only had the app this summer . I’ve noticed it will say ERC for most not perfectly clear pics of juniper including stuff I’m positive is not like shimpaku . If the app says anything else so far it’s been correct . Plus both clear pics don’t seem exactly right for ERC to me . So as far as I’m concerned pretty safe bet it’s Hinoki . Great timing I’m killing time at the Canadian national arboretum will look around for a Hinoki and run it thru the app
That was really nice, thank you.

Top Bottom