CYPRESS

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Pond cypress is in steep decline here in the Va. tidewater. I've never seen one here in the wild. The article attached says pond cypress has dome shaped knees compared to pyramid shaped BC knees...
I found a few vigorous pond cypress down here. I can collect seeds if you want.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here's another big "trunk only" BC at the same place the other big un lives. This one is about 15-17" inches at the base. All branching is new. This was collected in Fla. a decade ago because of the extreme taper in the warthog of a trunk. The trunk had NO branching when collected.
Can I see a few pictures where the carving is shown?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Unfortunately, I don't have any pics other than this one taken a few years ago.
Too bad. I have a couple BCs with uninteresting trunks that I intend to do some major carving. I am looking for inspiration.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you scroll through this thread (REdwood Ryan's photos, mostly) you can see a few more of their BCs and the backside of the big BC (at least I think its the same tree--in a larger Kiddie pool) also a pic of the grafted BC knee I talked about--which was only a couple of years old at the time (2017). It's progressed since.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a few vigorous pond cypress down here. I can collect seeds if you want.
Thanks. Appreciate the offer, but I think I'm done with Pond Cypress. I lost a good one a while back to a bad winter and think they're only marginally hardy in my overwintering capabilities.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I clicked on this thread expecting a discussion about Cupressus species.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's another big "trunk only" BC at the same place the other big un lives. This one is about 15-17" inches at the base. All branching is new. This was collected in Fla. a decade ago because of the extreme taper in the warthog of a trunk. The trunk had NO branching when collected.
That is a very uncommon BC! I very rarely see any BC with such a significant amount of burl.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Perfect chop it is then repot before it pops!
I would be very concerned about making a chop outside of the growing season...even if you eventually want to hollow out the chop, as in a hurricane damaged tree, you still want the growing edges of the cut to wrap around the cut area. If you are looking to completely heal the chop wait until the growing season. If you can, just be patient...especially if its only 15 minutes away....if not, chop higher than you want the final chop to be but be warned my experience of chopping in the winter has resulted in major dieback! You are not in Fla or LA!!

Top Bottom