Daconil application

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone,
I purchased some daconil today be cause I noticed some small white spots on one of my maples that I suspect to be fungus. Other than that I wanted to use it simply as a preventative measure. The bottle's instructions obviously do not mention anything about bonsai application rates, so I was hoping that someone who has used it before could point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If it's pre-mixed, use it right out of the bottle. Otherwise, mix in recommended ratio on bottle. Will be the same concentration on maples as other broadleaf deciduous such as apple and cherry.

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's pre-mixed, use it right out of the bottle. Otherwise, mix in recommended ratio on bottle. Will be the same concentration on maples as other broadleaf deciduous such as apple and cherry.
And I apply to the entire tree? or just the infected areas?

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And I apply to the entire tree? or just the infected areas?
every plant surface. make sure to get undersides of leaves, and remember to wear gloves and to stand upwind to minimize any chance of inhaling it.

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
every plant surface. make sure to get undersides of leaves, and remember to wear gloves and to stand upwind to minimize any chance of inhaling it.
Thanks! I read the warnings-sounds like pretty nasty stuff.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using this stuff with good results and see it often recommended here.
My trouble is application right out of the spray bottle as purchased is it's so thick. I can't seem to get an even application. It's like trying to spit all over your tree evenly. Do others have this trouble? Did I just get the bottom of the barrel? Can I thin it with something?

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have been using this stuff with good results and see it often recommended here.
My trouble is application right out of the spray bottle as purchased is it's so thick. I can't seem to get an even application. It's like trying to spit all over your tree evenly. Do others have this trouble? Did I just get the bottom of the barrel? Can I thin it with something?

Yeah, it tends to spray pretty coarse. Couple of options are to add a little Wetter Sticker (or similar surficant) which helps it spread easier, or thin it with just enough water to get the desire result, understand that you may need to dose a little more often or for longer as a result.

I prefer the former

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Get the concentrate. And also get a piston pump sprayer (they're inexpensive, less than $25 at home center) and dilute the concentrate according to instructions on bottle. The sprayer has a nozzle that will allow you to diffuse the spray pattern and it's got a bend in it so you can invert it and easily get the underside of the leaves (just stick the nozzle in the canopy and blast everything everywhere, tops and bottoms. The goals is to get full coverage, totally saturated until it's dripping off all surfaces of leaves.

Pre-wet the soil so stuff that drips down there is somewhat diluted, and might also be good to cover soil with old t-shirt or rag and absorb excess.

Example of a suitable sprayer:

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Piston-Pump-Sprayer-Liter/dp/B01EFIY3PU

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I use the concentrate and a very inexpensive 1 quart calibrated sprayer from Dollar General. They have bee carrying 3 packs for 2USD :eek: I open the nozzle to get a fine spry any it works good for that and many other concentrates I use.
Could be your bottle is not correct/defective but I would not hesitate either cutting it with a little distilled water OR poring it into one of the elcheapo sprayers ;)

Grimmy

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Last thing about piston pump sprayers... avoid getting the $5-10 dollar units. Splurge and spend another $10-15. Try to get one with a screw on cap that will direct leaks/blow-bys down and away from you.

The really cheap units seal at the top... and they do not seal well (or at all), so they spew atomized fungicide out of the top (continuously), right up and onto you, which puts you at risk. Big risk. It'll go everywhere in such a fine mist you won't even know it... until you realize after the spraying session that 30% has been applied to your eyes and face.

Avoid these:
IMG_1018.JPG

Try to get one of these:

Attachments

• IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 21

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey everyone,
I purchased some daconil today be cause I noticed some small white spots on one of my maples that I suspect to be fungus. Other than that I wanted to use it simply as a preventative measure. The bottle's instructions obviously do not mention anything about bonsai application rates, so I was hoping that someone who has used it before could point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

I use the concentrate that I mix into a 1 gallon bottle then pour that into a quart spray bottle. If you only have a couple of trees to do, this is what I would use. The sprayer pictured above is good if you have lots of trees to do. Keep the 1 gal bottle in a cool, dark place (garage is fine). Daconil does not stay good if kept in the sun and allowed to get hot.
I would also cover the soil of the pot prior to spraying. I use cheap hand towels that I bought just for that purpose. Allow the spray to dry a bit before removing the towel.

Wear gloves and wash your hands and change clothes after spraying in case you got some overspray on you. I would even wear goggles if there is any kind of wind movement whatsoever.
Beware of any pets and children. Do not allow them into the area with the trees until all of what has been sprayed is dry.

Lastly, you mention "white spots". Are you sure this is a fungus and not scale?

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use the concentrate that I mix into a 1 gallon bottle then pour that into a quart spray bottle. If you only have a couple of trees to do, this is what I would use. The sprayer pictured above is good if you have lots of trees to do. Keep the 1 gal bottle in a cool, dark place (garage is fine). Daconil does not stay good if kept in the sun and allowed to get hot.
I would also cover the soil of the pot prior to spraying. I use cheap hand towels that I bought just for that purpose. Allow the spray to dry a bit before removing the towel.

Wear gloves and wash your hands and change clothes after spraying in case you got some overspray on you. I would even wear goggles if there is any kind of wind movement whatsoever.
Beware of any pets and children. Do not allow them into the area with the trees until all of what has been sprayed is dry.

Lastly, you mention "white spots". Are you sure this is a fungus and not scale?
I'm not sure. Here's a photo after I applied Daconil. They are minuscule, but I didn't want to take any chances.
20170626_182411.jpg

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
what do the leaves look like? Affected?

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what do the leaves look like? Affected?
The leaves look completely fine other than the top ones got a little burned when I accidentally left it in full sun on a 105* day.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I wouldn't panic. Very likely nothing. Leaves are most susceptible.

This is what I faced with my Sharp's Pygmy when I decided to start a Daconil/Clearys rotation earlier this summer/late spring. My trident was also looking poorly.

All is well with both canopies now.

IMG_1020.JPG

Top Bottom