daconil- frequency of use

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
How often can I use daconil on a trident? I'm having trouble getting some fungus under control. I defoliated it early this summer then sprayed it really well.

The new foliage looked great for awhile, then the new growth started getting black spots and growing deformed. Its not terrible but I really need to get it knocked down.

It's too late to defoliate again but I did remove all the spotty and deformed leaves and saturated the tree and soil with daconil. Would it be safe or even necessary to spray it weekly until it drops foliage and I store it away for the winter?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had similar issue with a small elm...leaf black spot.
Been spraying it once a week for 3 or 4 weeks now, seems better.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's too late to defoliate again but I did remove all the spotty and deformed leaves and saturated the tree and soil with daconil. Would it be safe or even necessary to spray it weekly until it drops foliage and I store it away for the winter?

Spraying it weekly until leaf drop and starting again in Spring at bud break would greatly improve my chances of breaking the cycle here in these parts.

Grimmy

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks guys, once a week it is.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, once a week it is.
Fungus on maples especially anthracnose is enviromental. If you are doing nothing to change that, then the problem will persist indefinately. You need to fix the problem not continue to apply band aids.

Last edited:

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fungus on maples especially anthracnose is enviromental. If you are doing nothing to change that, then the problem will persist indefinately. You need to fix the problem not continue to apply band aids.

Based on you excellent article are you mainly referring to keeping your area clean and not watering foliage?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Based on you excellent article are you mainly referring to keeping your area clean and not watering foliage?
Thank you for posting the link to @Smoke article, I'd not seen it before. I keep my area clean and the tree is in fast draining soil but I do water with a sprinkler, often. I always though trees liked to have showers.
Can harsh sunlight aggravate the problem? I didn't have any issues until it got really hot this summer.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Fungus on maples especially anthracnose is enviromental. If you are doing nothing to change that, then the problem will persist indefinately
Which means I have to move. Wish I could.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for posting the link to @Smoke article, I'd not seen it before. I keep my area clean and the tree is in fast draining soil but I do water with a sprinkler, often. I always though trees liked to have showers.
Can harsh sunlight aggravate the problem? I didn't have any issues until it got really hot this summer.
Well the extra water standing on the ground as well as the extra heat sets up a green house effect under the plants and a perfect environment for fungus to grow. What you have to do is figure out the best water times to do the watering and at what time of the day the sun will dry the area under the tree rather than stay moist. Sunlight does not really aggravate the problem and should help to keep area dry. You may have to allow a little more room between plants to help with circulation. Your only alternative is to keep spraying and hope its better next year. I seem to have the problem more with the heat here too. Not the heat and the plant, but the heat and standing water around the plants due to extra watering setting up a fungus environment.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daconil has helped my fungus problem, but not eliminated it. I've been using it once a month, keeping things cleaned up, but I have two issues I'm sure still contribute to the issue. One is that my trees are too crowded together. I can work on that. The main challenge is that I live in a cloud. My spot on the ridge of the peninsula south of San Francisco is one of those spots where the marine layer clouds spill over the ridge. Almost every night it's wet with mist and usually windy. Sometimes it's wet all day. I've been here six months now - still trying to learn what it takes to live in a cloud. Chances are fungicides are here to stay.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I recall, the bottle says every 14 days?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been thinking about trying some daconil. My tridents barely grew at all this year. One nice push in the early spring, and since then have not grown an inch. Very concerning, but I don't know how to diagnose the problem. Can a fungus cause this issue (stalled growth) or do they mostly just make the leaves ugly?

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
That's a beautiful sight from the air, the marine layer spilling in. I too live in a cloud so if I spray and the sun goes away right after, and maybe for day's after, there's wet leaves to contend with. I'm tired of dealing with this and realizing the futility of growing anything but azalea, camellia and metrosideros polymorpha (ohi'a). Maples in the ground, no problem. The only place in the state to grow them. But in a pot it's an uphill battle.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been thinking about trying some daconil. My tridents barely grew at all this year. One nice push in the early spring, and since then have not grown an inch. Very concerning, but I don't know how to diagnose the problem. Can a fungus cause this issue (stalled growth) or do they mostly just make the leaves ugly?

I live not far from you in Durham. I had a good first push and then a second flush, but no third flush. My trees in the growing bed are doing pretty well though. I assumed it was due to fungal infection on mine though.

Top Bottom