daconil- frequency of use

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I started using the Bonide systemic granules this year and I've been happy with that product. It cleared up anthracnose on an acer rubrum, black spot on a Chinese elm and it seems to have stopped the progression of a bad case of needle cast on a Scots Pine. Just sprinkle on the soil surface and water in. The bag I bought should last many years too.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I live not far from you in Durham. I had a good first push and then a second flush, but no third flush. My trees in the growing bed are doing pretty well though. I assumed it was due to fungal infection on mine though.
Did you use any fungicide, and if so, did it solve the problem? I really would have liked even a second flush...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started using the Bonide systemic granules this year and I've been happy with that product. It cleared up anthracnose on an acer rubrum, black spot on a Chinese elm and it seems to have stopped the progression of a bad case of needle cast on a Scots Pine. Just sprinkle on the soil surface and water in. The bag I bought should last many years too.
Sounds convenient and effective.... and maybe too good to be true?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds convenient and effective.... and maybe too good to be true?

Just relating my experience of how it worked for me. You are free to either believe it or not. No skin off my back either way.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a second flush...

If you had a hot summer it might still happen no?

I got things going dormant already but some are just fall pushing now.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I've applied daconil 2-3 times to my potted tridents through the summer... both in ground and potted trees have grown continuously. One of my grow box tridents have been wired and cut back 3 times and it's on it's 3rd to 4th flush, depending on the branch. I've still had some tip die back and malformed leaves here and there in the canopy... I suspect the application of daconil didn't affect the growth or vigor of the tree one way or another.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fwiw, I've applied daconil 2-3 times to my potted tridents through the summer......

I suspect the application of daconil didn't affect the growth or vigor of the tree one way or another.

I'm sure it didnt. I also use daconil.

It would kinda be counter intuitive if a product meant to prevent fungus also retarded growth of the plant itself.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find it odd that many plants here potted require filtered or minimal direct Sun such as Azalea, Quince, and more. The same plants also require to be damp not wet. Perfect environment for the plants turns out to be a perfect environment for Fungal issues!
Anyways, I stated that because I frequently use Daconil as a preventative mainly on a pretty wide variety of plants and have ever seen it cause a problem of any type. Same goes with my three time a year watering in of water and Sulfur.
Just my 2 pennies on this one ;)

Grimmy

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Is this what you have been using: Amazon?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just relating my experience of how it worked for me. You are free to either believe it or not. No skin off my back either way.
Think I came off the wrong way, I wasn't saying you were lying or anything. I'm actually going to see if lowes has some of it and give it a shot. I was mostly just saying that it surprised me a product like that works. Wonder what it does to beneficial fungi though.

These are from my ground layer trident... do the leaves show sign of a fungus? I know it was focusing on root growth, and I got a ton of that, but only one foliar growth spurt all year?

Attachments

• IMG_3477.JPG
    IMG_3477.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 12

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Think I came off the wrong way, I wasn't saying you were lying or anything. I'm actually going to see if lowes has some of it and give it a shot. I was mostly just saying that it surprised me a product like that works. Wonder what it does to beneficial fungi though.

These are from my ground layer trident... do the leaves show sign of a fungus? I know it was focusing on root growth, and I got a ton of that, but only one foliar growth spurt all year?

No worries. I was probably being over sensitive anyway. Not sure about the beneficial fungi thing. I'm pretty sure @Adair M uses the product too. Maybe he can shed some light on that question.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

How have you been dosing this? The package directions describe yard/garden applications. Just a half to one teaspoon per pot?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had similar issue with a small elm...leaf black spot.
Been spraying it once a week for 3 or 4 weeks now, seems better.

How can you tell that it has gotten better? Is the infected growth just not spreading? I was under the impression that you can't revert any existing leaf damage.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How can you tell that it has gotten better? Is the infected growth just not spreading? I was under the impression that you can't revert any existing leaf damage.
When I noticed it, I cut off all infected leaves, then sprayed...
And all new growth since has been good.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How have you been dosing this? The package directions describe yard/garden applications. Just a half to one teaspoon per pot?

I haven't really stressed about the dosage - I just sprinkle some around on the surface until it seems like enough. It probably comes out to around a teaspoon for larger pots and a half teaspoon for smaller ones.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't really stressed about the dosage - I just sprinkle some around on the surface until it seems like enough. It probably comes out to around a teaspoon for larger pots and a half teaspoon for smaller ones.
Great, that is what I have been doing.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Gotcha. I am afraid of defoliating anymore on a couple trees so I think I will just wait till they naturally defoliate this fall and be more aggressive next year.
Yeah, and dormant spraying is important...
That's what I neglected to do last year...
So I'm going to be more proactive about dormant spraying with copper fungicide over winter then horticultural oil in early spring....and I think I'll try some systemics on a few as well next year.

Top Bottom