Daiza carving

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am really impressed Dave. How do you figure the selling price for an item like that?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here’s one just finished. The stone is self supporting so it didn’t need to be set. A nice feature is that it can be used as a mame display table. I guess a little more formal than a jita.

@Pitoon @SansokuuView attachment 471422
Very nice daiza/stand! What type of wood?

The red pot I made fits the circle perfectly.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am really impressed Dave. How do you figure the selling price for an item like that?
I don’t!!! Thinking about it will make you cynical and less engaged in doing the work. You have to do it for the jazz. The joy of doing. I’m so glad there is an audience here that can appreciate what it is.
The person that owns the stone didn’t even want a daiza but I had a vision for this and couldn’t help myself. He’ll own me a lot of lunches. 😂😂

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very nice daiza/stand! What type of wood?

The red pot I made fits the circle perfectly.
Wish I had something to put into both of them!! Maybe find something this spring.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think adding some splashing waves under the stone would have been sweet.
I actually thought about that but not splashing, more towards concentric wavelets. It’s dark under there and the typical higher viewing angle did not make it worth doing. The surface does undulate but it really isn’t noticeable.

After my post yesterday I thought of my miniature suiseki………so how about a daiza displaying another? Looks like it was made for it. 😎😎

Wood is sapele for big one and cocobolo for small one. Oil and wax.

31A99E9C-10B7-47F7-856E-EB3E91938A78.jpeg

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Very nice work, keep posting this stuff!!
I'm starting to get more and more interested in suiseki and daiza because of posts like this.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t!!! Thinking about it will make you cynical and less engaged in doing the work. You have to do it for the jazz. The joy of doing. I’m so glad there is an audience here that can appreciate what it is.
The person that owns the stone didn’t even want a daiza but I had a vision for this and couldn’t help myself. He’ll own me a lot of lunches. 😂😂
I get it my friend and I feel the same. Reason I asked is that I have a stone that needs a stand.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm starting to get more and more interested in suiseki and daiza because of posts like this.
It may be a while. I’m done for this year.

I get it my friend and I feel the same. Reason I asked is that I have a stone that needs a stand.
You’re a capable guy. Just remember, “experience starts when you begin”! 😎

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
As we all should. There are many display elements necessary beyond having good trees. Stands, stands to go on the stands, scrolls, accent plants, figurines, etc. So far I only have a bunch of trees that are becoming bonsai. The other elements are important and something we need to consider while making our trees. 😎

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is another stone that is owned by a pal in our study group. This is a fairly rare chrysanthemum stone (not the best example) the owner acquired it a few years ago but didn't like the daiza that came with it. The mountain that this type stone came from has been mined out, so there are no more. The really nice ones are very expensive and not readily available. He wants to display it at the Nationals this year and asked me to make a new daiza.

This first photo is the original daiza. It's poorly fit and doesn't bury down to the true equator of the stone. This would require a thicker piece of wood and might not work visually to have a higher daiza. I don't believe the black enhances the stone.

IMG_1746.jpeg

My solution was to use a secondary band have way down the daiza and then undercut it to distract your eye to make it look thinner. The width gave me an opportunity to decortate with a chrysanthemum motif to enhance a stone which is lacking a lot of the chrysanthemum features.

IMG_1743.jpeg

IMG_1744.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is another stone that is owned by a pal in our study group. This is a fairly rare chrysanthemum stone (not the best example) the owner acquired it a few years ago but didn't like the daiza that came with it. The mountain that this type stone came from has been mined out, so there are no more. The really nice ones are very expensive and not readily available. He wants to display it at the Nationals this year and asked me to make a new daiza.

This first photo is the original daiza. It's poorly fit and doesn't bury down to the true equator of the stone. This would require a thicker piece of wood and might not work visually to have a higher daiza. I don't believe the black enhances the stone.

View attachment 498533

My solution was to use a secondary band have way down the daiza and then undercut it to distract your eye to make it look thinner. The width gave me an opportunity to decortate with a chrysanthemum motif to enhance a stone which is lacking a lot of the chrysanthemum features.

View attachment 498534

View attachment 498535
Beautiful work.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 498533

View attachment 498534

View attachment 498535
Excellent work on that daiza! Does this stone belong to Les?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This my "get-away from making pots" winter interlude. Once again a stone of a friend. This one is from China. The black plexiglass in the foreground was inspired by a bridge stone I saw a the National last year. It was displayed on a sheet of black plexiglass which made a stunning reflection of the stone from underneath. The method of display made the stone even more dramatic.
This stone had a natural wrap-around space that I thought would be an interesting to try this technique. The owner thinks it resembles a "drinking dragon". The wood is cocobolo, which can be be difficult to carve but it holds detail extremely well. I used a style often used in daiza for displaying furuya stones.

IMG_4686.JPG

Top Bottom