Dale Cochoy

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
As many of you know Dale is tough as it comes. He is a tough as nails vet and as such would never be anything less than solid rock unless there was a legit issue. Dale Cochoy is a bonsai legend. He is an undisputed expert in both bonsai and pottery. He was already considered and expert when I started 20 years ago. He recently posted the following on FB so I'm guessing it's not private. I would encourage you to send him some well wishes and or prayers immediately. Here is a copy and paste from him, home he does not get mad that I am posting.

--------------------
So....Friends....It's been a rough several weeks here but it's time to talk about it now.
Back in early May I was having some troubles with stomach pains 24/7 . This started right before my trip to New Orleans for a few bonsai programs. The pain subsided quite a bit while I was there and busy but returned as I returned home. I set some appointments with the VA for some testing. After a couple CT's it was pretty obvious the problem was a tumor in my pancreas and what appeared to be metistatic cancer in my liver. After a consult with a surgeon they set up a liver biopsy to confirm that a few weeks ago. Meanwhile while waiting for the VA to arrange for an oncology consult I started having other ailments. First a lot of pain in my right knee. I thought I had twisted it wrong or something. Then I had a bad pain in my right ribs starting just two days after my liver biopsy. I attributed that to poking the probs through the cartilage between my ribs and causing some inflammation. Icing my knee then my ribs made those pains go away in a few days. As those pains stopped I began getting the same sharp rib pain on my other side and an annoying cough. As the cough got worse we decided I should go to the local emergency center on a saturday because Nanc thought I had pneumonia. After checking me they did a lung CT scan and found I had blood clots in both lungs. They admitted me and started blood thinners. The next day the doctor at the hospital thought the lung clots came from my leg so he had dopler scans done of my legs and found the entire lenth of my right leg was full of clots. Some had come lose and traveled to my lungs. They also did a heart ultrasound and found some minor damage due specifically from the lung clots. I was in the hospital for 4 days and am now taking Lovenox for the clotting. Coughing still persistant.
STILL waiting for VA consult with an Oncology expert which is finally coming this Monday the 9th. It's been over a month dealing with the VA but EVERYTHING the local Summa hospital found out was in 4 days! I'm about ready to wash my hands with the VA and switch back to my old family doctor via medicare and start using emergency services more often at the hospital. It is difficult trying to combine both coverages. So, that is where I am at on that part of the story.
A few weeks back after seeing the writing on the wall I decided to put the remainder of my beautiful 40 yr. Old bonsai collection up for sale ( you might remember I sold the majority back in 2012). PLUS I decided to sell ALL of my remaining stock of my hand-made pottery. I found a buyer and made a deal good for both of us. Yesterday I watched as my collection and pottery left. 40 years of bonsai DONE! I have no hand-made pottery left. The buyer is Joseph Freeman. I will be doing no more custom pottery but still hope to keep myself busy making a few things and firing when I feel up to it. I might know more about that aspect after monday. Right now I'm still weak as a kitten. I just came in from a walk through my now completely empty bonsai garden and decided to finally write this. Up until now only a few friends in the bonsai world knew about my health since the end of May.
I'll try to keep you informed.

One last thing. PLEASE , don't 20 bonsai dealers/potters call the Asheville Arboretum to get my sole remaining vending space this year as happened when I stopped doing all my other regular yearly shows 5 years ago. I've already arranged with them for my good friend Mitch Alan Boatman to run my booth for me in October this year

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Damn it, that's all I can say, just a great big damn it.. Much respect for that man. I still have all the photos from the 2012 sale.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's terrible on all counts.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very sorry to read this, and even sorrier that the VA doesn't have the money or staff to do a better job taking care of our veterans.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know Dale but read about him. Sad!!!

Reaction score
this is shocking to hear. we are no longer friendly on FB but I sincerely hope he gets his "fight" back in him. as has been mentioned earlier he is a gnarley old veteran who has come through many battles in life and I think he will win this one as well, Get well Dale!

Top Bottom