Dale Cochoy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A message posted on Facebook about an hour ago by the Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society said renowned American bonsai potter Dale Cochoy has died. He had been sick with cancer for some time.

I knew Dale for almost 25 years. Have more than My fair share of his pots. He was a great guy--a bit grumbly at shows--but a character. That character will be sorely missed.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sad, sad news. I met him several times at the Carolina Bonsai Expo where he sold his pots and carving tools. Before I ever owned a Rayner, Boggs, or Lenz pot, I lusted after Colchoy pots... heavy, well made and very usable. I own at least 5-6 now. He will be missed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for posting. I can't say enough about Dale. He was a constant presence at PBA shows, where he used to be the only source for stuff like samurai cutters, and other wood carving stuff. his pots were rock solid and have stood the test of time. I won't part with mine. Over the years, we got to know each other at the shows. We talked about bonsai and other life stuff. He was Facebook friend and messaged me regularly, especially after my mom died a couple of years ago. My mom had been a middle school teacher for 30 years. So had Dale. I'll miss him.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I met Dale and his wife Nanc a year ago in July. His wife works for a rehabilitation center for wildlife. And we took a baby groundhog to her place of work. She met up with us and Dale as well. She showed us around and we got the tour of the place. I spoke trees briefly with Dale. Sadly, our time had not really allotted me to swing by his home. We were barely going to make check in reservations in the opposite direction for our anniversary getaway, We planned to meet up again next year...then, the ugly Cancer reared...I didn't want to bother him. His wife was a knight in shinning armor beside her husband...and from now on...Frank Senatra's "My Way" will always be Dale's theme song. From firing that last batch of pots...when he was so weak. He was such a proud and determined man...and he left doing it his way. In style...my prayers cover Nanc and his boys...as they face this grief they have. But I am so glad...he had Christmas with his family. He surely fought hard to have that happen. Riding his bike off into the sunset...fair well my friend. RIP.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Big fan of his dry river bed pots of which I have several. Outstanding quality and aesthetics which will serve as memorial to Dale for a very long time. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry to hear. From his FB posts, he definitely lived life right up to the end. Never met him in person, but will miss the guy. This is my only Dale Cochoy pot. RIP.
6BF5781F-BB6D-42CE-A232-80763EE564E6.jpeg

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Sad news. Got a samurai cutter for my Arbortech from him. A familiar presence for many years.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry to hear. From his FB posts, he definitely lived life right up to the end. Never met him in person, but will miss the guy. This is my only Dale Cochoy pot. RIP.
View attachment 221851
Wow! That's a wild looking pot there!
Appears as if its some iron rusting away!
Man, that's something....
Is it painted or glazed or what? Just natural variation in the material used??

I think its great that his pots will live on with you guys. That's awesome.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I first new of Dale when he sold his collection about 7 years ago. I still have all the photos he posted when he offered it for sale and they really inspired me to have a collection like his one day. Little did I know at the time just how hard that would be to accomplish. As we all know, he had no problem stating what was on his mind and I often read his spirited exchanges on Facebook with those who couldn't backup their opinions. He certainly will be missed.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Jonathan. I hope you've been well. I'm wondering if you can tell me how to say " my last bonsai pot. Good bye" It doesn't need to be kanji, just the words. Thanks
OCT 25, 2018, 10:51 PM
Jonathan
Boku no saigo no bonsai hachi. Sayonara. 僕の最後の盆栽鉢。さよなら。
OCT 26, 2018, 9:41 AM
35796796_10215206105260156_4031930235933949952_n.jpg

Thank you so much. I just made my last pot yesterday.
OCT 28, 2018, 7:48 PM
35796796_10215206105260156_4031930235933949952_n.jpg

In case you hadn't been following me lately I have stage 4 cancer and not much longer. Trying to get 2 more firings done before selling off equipment. I was looking for something to write on my last ecver pot I made bottom.

45101484_110308139916554_9086643754441375744_n.jpg

My last conversation with him...hope his wife is feeling comforted at this difficult time.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cancer sucks! Obviously a fighter up to the end. Had wondered why never 5 sided pots:confused:? Now see total stranger thought same thing:cool:. Great minds;).

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
He will be remembered well, and his pots will live beyond us all.

Top Bottom