Dalmatian Black Pine #1

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the Nurseries have grown the plant in something long enough to grow it to market size, why the hurry, or even at all must we observe, "the nurseries use a very water-holding organic mix, and it's important to get the plant out of that substrate as soon as possible." ?

Maybe that's what works on a commercial scale where they water acres grossly with overhead sprinklers, while bonsai people who water with dainty little cans constitute a minuscule portion of people growing plants and are the ones doing it wrong. If an outsider with no skin in the game heard both sides of the story and assigned some weight to each side of the question; "Hmmm... a few thousand people say grow in rocks and thousands of commercial growers say grow in wood chips..." Where would he put his money?

I understand that I'm too stupid to grasp the issue, but outside of acknowledging that and your superior record, got a list of facts, factoids, scientific principles, etc. to present in favor of rocks in much smaller pots? Like, for instance, field capacity of one verses the other?
The goals of a commercial nurseryman and a bonsai artist are different. The commercial nurseryman is after rapid growth, creating as much foliage as possible as fast as possible.

The bonsai artist, on the other hand, is generally after refinement: short internodes, dense, not leggy, growth.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has such lovely dark green foliage! I love it!

Top Bottom