damage from leafblowers

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@SouthernMaple
Your next conversation should be with the landlord. Do you have garage space? maybe move the trees to your garage, if the burlap cover idea doesn't work.

Asheville, NC is a "hotbed" of bonsai activity. Perhaps you can attend the local bonsai club meetings and find somebody with space you can winter your trees with. In the mean time, I suggest a move. Obviously, unless you can get your landlord to change landscapers, your current location is not worth staying with.

But try the local club. And remember, Arthur Joura is curator at the Asheville Botanic Garden bonsai collection. Definitely a great resource. Talk to Arthur, he might know who would be willing to board trees.
im in the club been there since March. For me this is about respect more than anything. I am not getting bullied out of my current place, I pay $800 a month with all utilities, I am saving 250 a month just living here in a 1200sqft apartment. Asheville rental market is absurd there is less than a 1% occupancy rate for rentals. Finding a place would cost me more plus moving expenses, l may offer her to pay me $10k and I will leave at the end of the month if she wants to buy me out of the lease and never hear from me again. I am looking at buying some cameras to put up in trees facing backyard and I filed an incident report today to get something in writing in case anything else happens.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What’s your landlord’s take on it?
Shes a sweet older lady mid 50's divorced travelling nurse, very unconfrontational and is clearly being taken advantage of by this landscaper.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Blimey, what a ball ache. Can’t even suggest anything really, but I guess after today it doesn’t sound like its going to get any easier dealing with codpieces like that. Hope it all works out mate.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good news after talking with landlord she fired his ass, bad news she fired him when i was in Kannapolis so he might have come by and poisoned my plants. Any thing i can do tonight or in the morning other than relocating them if they have been poisoned?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If this is the second time. Then I'm wondering why you didn't do a better job marking the area. Stakes and string roping the area off or something. Ones doing landscape do many jobs would be hard pressed to know one has bonsai among leaves he's paid to clean up. Stakes and burlap wall creating a wind break would have shown this one that something was there.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If this is the second time. Then I'm wondering why you didn't do a better job marking the area. Stakes and string roping the area off or something. Ones doing landscape do many jobs would be hard pressed to know one has bonsai among leaves he's paid to clean up. Stakes and burlap wall creating a wind break would have shown this one that something was there.
the first time I had area marked off with large plastic containers that i store summer clothes in to block the wind and a cloth sheet draped over the top weighted with bricks sort of like a make shift tent, he kicked that over like it was the house of the first little pig. that was when we almost had a fistfight in the driveway and he told me to move back to new york.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, mid 50's is considered "older"? Shit, I'm going to have to learn to knit and get some orthopedic shoes!:eek:
im in my late 30's and I consider myself old, ill try and refrain from using adjectives like "older" anymore on here

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good news after talking with landlord she fired his ass, bad news she fired him when i was in Kannapolis so he might have come by and poisoned my plants. Any thing i can do tonight or in the morning other than relocating them if they have been poisoned?
Look for granules of something. Smell the leaves for something un-leaf-like. Do it before it rains. Watch your back.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If landlord fired the person, them coming onto your property would constitute trespassing.

You could alert neighbors to this, ask them to keep an eye out. Alert law inforcement, possibly get some form of restraining order.

Would be easy to find out if this person has a business license or not. The better business bureau files complaints whether businesses are accredited or not. Same with the IRS.

This guy seems pretty dumb, especially in a business sense. However, dumb can be scary, because dumb is often unpredictable.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At least landscapers in NY have some respect for thier clients. Our guys have never so much as disturbed a needle on my trees.

I would recommend making a bit of a harder barrier, one that someone cant kick or blow over easily.

The picture below is my cold frame that I put my trees in. Only had one issue with a delivery truck backing into it when they were delivering paving stones.
They didnt knock it over but thankfully there were no trees in it at the time as it was summer.

2016Expansion3_small.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the risk of being a jerk, I'd suggest dialing it down. Your posts sound a bit, well, overheated. Takes two to tango and you don't sound like you're helping resolve much of anything.

You are fulfilling the worst "Yankee" stereotype Southerners have --loud, pious, confrontational... While NYC residents can talk in that language and understand it for what it is, people not familiar with that kind of back and forth will take exception. It will definitely get you no where in the South. It's a cultural thing, especially among the "older" crowd like me -over 50.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Threats like that dont fly much farther than the offending party's teeth after a swift pop to the jaw......sounds like you might have to teach him a lesson that his father should have......we call it a Baltimore Hood-style ass whoopin.

Honestly, if your landlord doesn't want a lawsuit, he should fire that peice of shit.

Some people.....

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like you need to file a complaint with his company.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At the risk of being a jerk, I'd suggest dialing it down. Your posts sound a bit, well, overheated. Takes two to tango and you don't sound like you're helping resolve much of anything.

You are fulfilling the worst "Yankee" stereotype Southerners have --loud, pious, confrontational... While NYC residents can talk in that language and understand it for what it is, people not familiar with that kind of back and forth will take exception. It will definitely get you no where in the South. It's a cultural thing, especially among the "older" crowd like me -over 50.
Thats because im from Georgia. My parents were from south Georgia and their parents were super rednecks, for eg my grandfather was a bbq baron in brunswick ga. Nothing offends a southerner more than being called a Yankee, i personally think its funny because I guess I don't have a very Southern accent.
Where I live in Asheville there is a really big stigma of "Yankees" coming here and screwing everything up and driving the price up on food , rent, etc. My landlord moved here from NYC 18 years ago and she said when people found out you were from the north they would throw tomatoes at her car.
I just moved here in March from Georgia and its not because of so called Yankees, there are people here from everywhere. There is a large lesbian population, a large poly population, hipsters and hippies. i don't really fit into any group but thats whatever.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been there once and got to say I loved it and loved the diversity.
Assholes are everywhere, doen't matter where you are. .

Top Bottom