Damage to Wigert’s by Hurricane Ian :(

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Storms like Ian is one of the main reasons I'll never move further south ( the other reason is I hate high heat and humidity).

We get storms here but the worst is category 3 and those are rare....so far. The storms have been getting bigger and more intense every year.

Makes me want to move further north if anything and I am with @rockm
I once dreamed of a house on the water. Now I wouldn't want one if you gave it to me.

Also I know some people probably didnt have a choice but I could never leave my dogs behind. I'd load them in the truck and take them with me no matter what.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@Paradox, I'm glad you feel that way about your pets. I feel the same. There was only one road out in most of Florida and the interstate was bumper to bumper. There was no gas to buy in many parts of the state. My husband said he finally saw gas for sale today. Smart people fill all vehicles up before the storm. Not only was the traffic bumper to bumper, fallen trees and giant debris prevented people from escaping. People needed to evacuate immediately and not wait until they're told to. I do animal rescue and am with you...Pets are family but you'd be shocked at how little thought and care many people give their animals. They give them up at the drop of a hat and it's sickening. In some cases people had their backs against the wall but the idea is to get out early and go stay with family or friends in land away from the path and away from water. If you can find a room for rent, take it. I would sneak a dog in before I'd be deterred by a no pet policy during a hurricane.

In Florida natives dread hurricane season. The first of June through the end of November. We've had them back to back before. When that happened we were without electricity for three days. I learned that the Red Cross serving many, many counties is here in Orlando. I went there and their generator was working so they had A.C.ice and water. II spent the days volunteering and it was an extraordinary learning experience and it beat being at home sweating and hanging our with the neighbors. It's true that everyone empties their freezers and frig and has hurricane parties.

The worst sound to hear when you're without power is hearing neighbors with generators and seeing them sitting in their homes with AC, watching TV and cooking meals as usual. Those are the people who don't open their doors to neighbors and act like its business as usual.

You can tell a lot about the character of people during tragedy or a time when others need help.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paradox, I'm glad you feel that way about your pets. I feel the same. There was only one road out in most of Florida and the interstate was bumper to bumper. There was no gas to buy in many parts of the state. My husband said he finally saw gas for sale today. Smart people fill all vehicles up before the storm. Not only was the traffic bumper to bumper, fallen trees and giant debris prevented people from escaping. People needed to evacuate immediately and not wait until they're told to. I do animal rescue and am with you...Pets are family but you'd be shocked at how little thought and care many people give their animals. They give them up at the drop of a hat and it's sickening. In some cases people had their backs against the wall but the idea is to get out early and go stay with family or friends in land away from the path and away from water. If you can find a room for rent, take it. I would sneak a dog in before I'd be deterred by a no pet policy during a hurricane.

In Florida natives dread hurricane season. The first of June through the end of November. We've had them back to back before. When that happened we were without electricity for three days. I learned that the Red Cross serving many, many counties is here in Orlando. I went there and their generator was working so they had A.C.ice and water. II spent the days volunteering and it was an extraordinary learning experience and it beat being at home sweating and hanging our with the neighbors. It's true that everyone empties their freezers and frig and has hurricane parties.

The worst sound to hear when you're without power is hearing neighbors with generators and seeing them sitting in their homes with AC, watching TV and cooking meals as usual. Those are the people who don't open their doors to neighbors and act like its business as usual.

You can tell a lot about the character of people during tragedy or a time when others need help.
Totally agree. The people turning their pets back in to shelters after having them for years because things are a bit more expensive right now make me want to scream.

So stop going to Starbucks every day. There are a lot of things I'd give up before I'd give up my dogs. I'd literally have to be homeless with nothing else I can do.

My dogs are totally my family.
One of mine, we adopted at the beginning of the pandemic. He sleeps in my bed with me (yea I'm a sucker)....lol
He will stay there with me no matter how late I want to sleep in. I cant get up off the couch without him following me wherever I'm going.

The other has also anointed himself as my other personal protector. He sleeps on the floor next to my bed. Always meets me at the door when I get home even though he is old and half blind now. How can you abandon a soul so devoted to you?? I don't get it.

As I said in another post, we get storms here too. Not nearly as bad as down south but the can and do cause damage. I watch the National Hurricane Center website constantly during hurricane season. I hate the damn things, it's a constant worry here too, particularly because we have boats to secure.

I agree, tough times reveal the best and worst in people. Sadly there are a lot of heartless people in the world right now but there are some very good ones too.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

You can tell a lot about the character of people during tragedy or a time when others need help

I've worked for an electricity utility in New Zealand for 35 years and been through a number of storms in the period . Our focus was to keep the power on within the best of our ability ( but you fighting which mother nature )
I've worked for 36 hours straight during cyclone Bola and was exhausted by the end of the day with my partner falling asleep at the wheel of the vehicle ( we decided to go home to bed )
Have a though for the men and women who work in the industry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Totally agree. The people turning their pets back in to shelters after having them for years because things are a bit more expensive right now make me want to scream.

So stop going to Starbucks every day. There are a lot of things I'd give up before I'd give up my dogs. I'd literally have to be homeless with nothing else I can do.

My dogs are totally my family.
One of mine, we adopted at the beginning of the pandemic. He sleeps in my bed with me (yea I'm a sucker)....lol
He will stay there with me no matter how late I want to sleep in. I cant get up off the couch without him following me wherever I'm going.

The other has also anointed himself as my other personal protector. He sleeps on the floor next to my bed. Always meets me at the door when I get home even though he is old and half blind now. How can you abandon a soul so devoted to you?? I don't get it.

As I said in another post, we get storms here too. Not nearly as bad as down south but the can and do cause damage. I watch the National Hurricane Center website constantly during hurricane season. I hate the damn things, it's a constant worry here too, particularly because we have boats to secure.

I agree, tough times reveal the best and worst in people. Sadly there are a lot of heartless people in the world right now but there are some very good ones too.
I'd never leave my dog or any pet for that matter behind. We depend on each other and communicate on another level, and that can't be duplicated or replaced.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Paradox

I am glad I did not run into those people in my neck of the woods in Louisiana. We cooked and helped one another clean. Those of us got generators often wash clothes for those without electricity. That actually was one thing people often overlook. After the storm doing clean up and having no clean clothes to change into at the end of the day can be really rough.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am glad I did not run into those people in my neck of the woods in Louisiana. We cooked and helped one another clean. Those of us got generators often wash clothes for those without electricity. That actually was one thing people often overlook. After the storm doing clean up and having no clean clothes to change into at the end of the day can be really rough.
Yes, you're so right. Or dry sheets to sleep on too. That's something the Red Cross helps with. They give out gift cards to Target, Walmart etc...for things like clothing and bedding.
My husband listened to a story on NPR today that was really heartbreaking. NPR found people living in their car outside their demolished trailer. The husband had worked for 50 years at a plant of some sort and everything they owned was in the trailer. I told my husband that I wished someone told them about the Red Cross. They would help them with a hotel room. He said they didn't want to leave the trailer. They were afraid someone would take their things. It was their home and everything they'd cared about was inside. Heartbreaking. I hope someone hears their story and helps them.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Pictures that speak volumes. So many people are still coping for those who are still interested.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures that speak volumes. So many people are still coping for those who are still interested.

Man, that's rough. It hurts but thank you for showing this. When I am having a tough spell it is things like this that keep it in perspective.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Those pictures are heartbreaking, I have a trip to Key West in a couple weeks and the owner of the Airbnb told me there were minimum damage to the area so that was good to hear.

Top Bottom