Dammit!!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I didn't heed the warnings last night and temps dropped into the 20's. Everything was covered with 1-2" of snow this morning!!
Everyone's in the attached garage for now.
50's by the end of the week.
Looks like the year end shuffle begins!!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea tell me about it. Im glad i just put mine down this last weekend. Do you plan on keeping the trees in the garage or are you going to mulch them in when you get the chance?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I didn't heed the warnings last night and temps dropped into the 20's. Everything was covered with 1-2" of snow this morning!!
Everyone's in the attached garage for now.
50's by the end of the week.
Looks like the year end shuffle begins!!

Put mine in the garage last night. They'll go back outside on the benches Wednesday or Thursday and then hopefully can stay there until Thanksgiving as planned.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mulched mine in early this year, I have too much going on to do the shuffle every day after work. I will be covering them over tonight though - mulched in but temps here are supposed to get down into the low teens.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here, they don't forecast temperatures lower than 2° C (35.6 F) in the coming two weeks and since I live in town, it will probably be a bit warmer.

I miss the snow in winter, like when I was a kid and lived in Massif Central, highest point : 1886 m, 6188ft.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here, they don't forecast temperatures lower than 2° C (35.6 F) in the coming two weeks and since I live in town, it will probably be a bit warmer.

I miss the snow in winter, like when I was a kid and lived in Massif Central, highest point : 1886 m, 6188ft.
Yea it has its charm but it's alot easier to miss it when you don't have to drive in it and deal with it. 😁

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

I know the feeling. Bland, grey, drizzly affairs are the general state of our winters.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
hah hah!...

We don't have bears in France, except a few brown bears that were re-introduced in a small area in the Pyrennean mountains before they totally disappeared.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Man I'm really worried too. Got almost a foot of snow and then temps in teens and going to 4 F (-16 C) tonight and the trees were all up on the deck and some on stands. Hoping the foot of snow kept them insulated and this am shoveled my way to the trees and put them all in the garage where they'll stay until Thurs when the temps will be back to more normal temps of 40s (5 C) during the day. I hope yesterday night didn't do my Chinese elm in...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Deep snow is your friend. Bury your pots in it on the ground. Will protect from the worst of the cold. I mulched most of mine in over the weekend in anticipation of the cold front. Lows in the low 20's for five days. Too cold for too long at this point. Some trees aren't dormant yet. The ones that didn't get mulch are coming inside for five days, which is not the best

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My garage is like 55 right now (not heated, but it is attached to the house). I've mostly only got a bunch of random prebonsai stuff in nursery cans but it got 20f last night and I brought them all in until I can get a chance to bury them properly behind a windbreak outside. Considering that it actually was almost 60f yesterday here, I'm guessing this is fine.

I too was caught off guard. I thought I had a few more weeks.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What type of trees are you concerned about?
EXACTLY! The only trees I brought in are being wired and interrupted
or repotted this year or recently. Of course I don’t have tropicals and
my JM are fully exposed a swell. Busting the 1911 record low tonight...13*F

I was happy for my bonsai to see the snow on them this morning, but cannot count on it for
Winter long protection from desiccation. Will move them into the cave within a month I suppose.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem is that here in No. Va., at least, it's two to three weeks too early for this depth and duration of cold weather. The lows at night for the next few days are forecast to be in the mid-20s-below freezing. Daytime highs will struggle to get out of the 30's today. The cold's grip will loosen a bit, but below freezing temps remain in the forecast through Saturday night.

The issue is that it was 100 degrees a month ago. We've had NO significant frost/shallow freezes to date. Most of my trees are juust beginning to enter dormancy. Such a prolonged period of deep cold will prevent soil in pots on benches from thawing during the day. With no real pause in the daytime to thaw, roots will remain frozen and potentially be damaged as they haven't had a gradual decline in temps to adequately harden off. Sudden drops like this are not good. Mulching trees on the ground is a good thing to do at this point, as it lags temperatures and the mulch pile warms in sunlight. Mulch piles should be deep and BIG if you can make them that way, as more mass holds onto relative warmth from the ground and from sunshine.

I've only brought a couple of trees inside that I normally store in a cold greenhouse elsewhere. I plan on bringing them back out once the temps reliably rise above 30 F at night.

BTW, this kind of thing is why you have to keep a close eye on weather forecasts. This cold trough of air has been in the forecast for more than a week. Not shaking a finger at anyone in particular ;-), but winter prep isn't something you can schedule. It relies on the weather which has been pretty unpredictable in the last couple of months.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yup I was affected too here, didn't think it'd get this cold here in Dallas, it's very very unusual.
My c.elms leaves have essentially browned and are falling, soil is frozen too
My poor little kojo no Mai if suffering the same fate so I took them all inside to defrost and I'm not so sure what to do next 😅
Rough year

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup I was affected too here, didn't think it'd get this cold here in Dallas, it's very very unusual.
My c.elms leaves have essentially browned and are falling, soil is frozen too
My poor little kojo no Mai if suffering the same fate so I took them all inside to defrost and I'm not so sure what to do next 😅
Rough year
If its is forecast to be below freezing at night for a couple of days, I'd get those cedar elms under mulch ASAP...or bring them indoors temporarily.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was surprised a bit myself. My shohin are in a greenhouse with a small heater and thermostat. It stays between 32-38. My bigger stuff I pulled into the garage last night..woke up to 11 degrees today. I have mulch and plan on pulling them out and covering them when I get home.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The problem here is that we've had no sustained cold to allow the trees to begin their journey to cold hardiness.
It was 14F this morning, but will be in the 40's by next week. I'll watch for warmer temps to shuffle outside again.
The garage will not remain their final resting place, they will be healed in sometime about Thanksgiving. (Nov. 28th)
Many of my trees are still 2-3 yr old saplings and they are in small pots that froze with just 1 night below freezing temps. I'm afraid that some may have incurred root damage because that came immediately after a couple days of torrential rains.

Top Bottom