Dammit!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got down to 14F last night. All of my stuff is mulched in over the lip of the pot - up to first branch on smaller pots. Didn't get a chance to cover them over with a sheet or anything, but here is hoping - they definitely have good wind protection so I'm thinking they will be good. I keep telling myself I will stop worrying over them in cold temps because so far they've all pulled through just fine with vigorous spring and summer growth, but the worry remains haha.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
19F last night here and everything is tucked in under a blanket of leaves except 3 tender ones that are in the garage. If nothing else this will definitely put them to sleep. In this area we undergo numerous freeze thaw cycles and there isn’t a real snowpack so the trees have to be able to withstand that or else. Under these conditions keeping them out of the wind is extremely import to prevent desiccation. Plus I keep them on the north side of the house to prevent rapid changes in temps, but they will freeze that no matter what I do.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bury your pots in it on the ground
Do you also bury your nice pots under mulch with trees in them?

Only asking because this is my first winter with a tree in a nice pot. It's a glazed Sara Raynor, and I rather not bury it under mulch if it'll get messed up. But I'd also rather not unpot the tree and bury it and have to deal with the wild roots in spring...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you also bury your nice pots under mulch with trees in them?

Only asking because this is my first winter with a tree in a nice pot. It's a glazed Sara Raynor, and I rather not bury it under mulch if it'll get messed up. But I'd also rather not unpot the tree and bury it and have to deal with the wild roots in spring...
Yup. If the pot you're worried about was made by Sara, its entirely frost proof. I've got several of her pots that I have been burying under mulch for a couple of decades now. Have never had an issue with them.. I have found over that time that burying them in mulch can help keep white mineral stains from getting too bad. when you bury the pot, make sure it is sitting above the ground--as in set it on bricks before adding the mulch. That insures a dead spot under the bottom of the pot that will allow drainage, which is critical in overwintering around here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm
Thank you!

Great tip!
There is an exception--if the pot has an incurved lip which curves over the soil surface, it could be subject to breaking if it gets cold enough. Those incurved rims are nice, but as the soil expands when it freezes, the space underneath leaves no room for the expansion. Soil puts pressure on it and "snap".

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well I should have brought my mikawa yatsubusas in, because it looks like they are dead. Strange too because they are supposedly ok in -20 degrees, and it only got down to 18f the other night. I had them in 2 feet of leaves with a plastic cover over them. On a side note my chinese elm wasn't fazed by the cold and still has green leaves.
IMG_20190917_131706_756.jpg 20191115_014455.jpg

20191015_142620.jpg 20191115_014731.jpg 20191115_014641.jpg

20191115_014128.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I should have brought my mikawa yatsubusas in, because it looks like they are dead. Strange too because they are supposedly ok in -20 degrees, and it only got down to 18f the other night. I had them in 2 feet of leaves with a plastic cover over them. On a side note my chinese elm wasn't fazed by the cold and still has green leaves.
View attachment 271146 View attachment 271147

View attachment 271148 View attachment 271149 View attachment 271150

View attachment 271151
The leaves are dead but the branches themselves still look ok. Plenty of nice buds there, ready to burst out in the spring!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 271146 View attachment 271147

View attachment 271148 View attachment 271149 View attachment 271150

View attachment 271151
They are not dead. Their leaves have been frozen. Roots SHOULD be OK, however if they were left on the benches unprotected in 18 F temps, you may have some root damage. The leaves froze because the trees were/are still active. The tree isn't fully dormant, which means the roots are not fully prepared for deep freeze temperatures. This cold trough of air is dangerous because it has arrived early, before trees have become fully hardened off for it.
You Chinese elm was most likely damaged just as your maples have been. It's just not showing it yet. Chinese elms are less cold hardy than maples...

BTW, a plastic cover is the WORST thing you can use to protect trees. It traps condensation, which freezes on the under surface of the plastic against the plant, as well as on branches and twigs. both can cause dieback on those areas. Plastic also doesn't provide much, or any, insulation from cold.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are not dead. Their leaves have been frozen. Roots SHOULD be OK, however if they were left on the benches unprotected in 18 F temps, you may have some root damage. The leaves froze because the trees were/are still active. The tree isn't fully dormant, which means the roots are not fully prepared for deep freeze temperatures. This cold trough of air is dangerous because it has arrived early, before trees have become fully hardened off for it.
You Chinese elm was most likely damaged just as your maples have been. It's just not showing it yet. Chinese elms are less cold hardy than maples...

BTW, a plastic cover is the WORST thing you can use to protect trees. It traps condensation, which freezes on the under surface of the plastic against the plant, as well as on branches and twigs. both can cause dieback on those areas. Plastic also doesn't provide much, or any, insulation from cold.

I had some pretty similar stuff happen to my trees. All of my pots were mulched in over the lip but seeing a ton of winter burn in the canopies after our bout of freeze/warm/freeze/warm temps. Hopefully I don't see a ton of dieback, but I can already tell I will be losing some branches this year.

Top Bottom