Damn Birds...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A couple of weeks ago I made this beech forest. I put the moss around the trees to help keep them in place while they grow new roots.

April 2016_2_small.jpg

Its been out on my deck getting the sun for the last week or so. The damn %$@#* birds keep digging up the moss looking for worms!!! Its like "HEY BIRDS....theres nothing but lava, pumice and gravel under there...really...stop moving the damn moss..... They even broke a branch on my smoke tree which was next to the forest.....UGH!

So I strung a rope behind the bench and hung some streamers from it....hopefully that stops the digging.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Well....not nice,
And nice!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've got the same problem but they dig for my organic ferts!:mad: its okay, almost time to set up shade clothe.

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you can put netting over the moss, and it'll stop them. I have to do this on trees if I moss them.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you can put netting over the moss, and it'll stop them. I have to do this on trees if I moss them.

Yea I thought of that, easy to do on a single tree. Not so easy on a forest but I'll have to try and figure something out.

Stupid birds....you would think they would know there aren't worms there.

I tried streamers hanging from a rope but it didn't work.....damn birds weren't fooled. They are ravens or crows and they sat in the tree and wathed me do it. Not long after I went inside they were digging up the moss again ....so maybe not so stupid birds.

They've torn it up enough now, I'll have to collect more moss at this point.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some birds use moss to line their nests, are they just digging and leaving the moss behind, or are they taking the moss?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some birds use moss to line their nests, are they just digging and leaving the moss behind, or are they taking the moss?

They are just tossing it all over, not taking it. The do the same on my lawn....err moss field.

They are also digging the peat out of my bowl with my Venus fly traps. That is just like mud and I keep it very wet for the fly traps so I know they are looking for worms.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get rid of the moss for awhile. Cover it with something else. Birds are looking for nest food in Spring. Tasty bugs live below moss in the wild...like a candy store for birds. The birds will find a new buffet somewhere else.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Tieball Its a new forest, I need the moss to help hold some of the smaller trees in place while they grow new roots. I spent 5 hours trying to put it together and anchor the trees in place but some are still loose....

I made a really elaborate contraption with wire mesh over the moss. That will take care of the problem until I can come up with a better solution and redo the parts of the moss that are now pretty much destroyed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. They are ravens or crows and they sat in the tree and wathed me do it.

These are smart ass birds....

Smart enough to maybe even just be f'ing with you.

If you feed them....they will Probly like you and leave your trees alone....
You have to be nice to them.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They sure aint dumb enough to go back to your trees for food of there is none!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They sure aint dumb enough to go back to your trees for food of there is none!

Sorce

My husband and I had a conversation about them and we are pretty sure they are Grackles, not crows. Too small for crows and yes the bastards are smart. They watch, and wait and know just when to strike....lol

I do feed them...I have feeders on the other side of the house. Who the hell knows, maybe they are bonsai critics and don't like moss on trees...lol

I was putting mesh on the trees last night and they were in the trees clucking and watching.

Anyway, I've got a plan for a better fix than the relatively quick fix I did last night. I'll update when it's finished.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do feed them...I have feeders on the other side of the house. Who the hell knows, maybe they are bonsai critics and don't like moss on trees...lol

Unless those feeders are filled with tasty bugs they probably won't help. What would help is a Systemic Pesticide, I use granular. No bugs = No birds after they come up empty a few times...

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bird netting is soft and easy to slice and place around trunks. I keep a bunch of pieces from year to year and they're easily put on and removed. I don't even have to secure them with anything, they stay flush to the moss.

Top Bottom