Damn shame boxwoods

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The folks down at Gunston Hall (George Mason's plantation on Mason Neck near D.C.) decided to "rejuvenate" the boxwood garden at the site. They are "returning" it to its "original" 18th century appearance.
https://gunstonhall.org/house-grounds/the-grounds/current-day-information/

In doing so, they've removed ALL of those ancient "dwarf" boxwood that were original to the house because they were in decline and too big for the landscape plans.

The move to redesign the garden has been debated for a decade. It was only yesterday that I heard from a friend who works at nearby Mt. Vernon they went ahead and dug all of those old boxwood out.

I don't know what's become of all those old plants, but I'm trying to find out. What a damn shame. I had asked repeatedly at Gunston about their fate over the last six or seven years, didn't get much response, other than the "WTF?" looks from staff.

Anyway, here's what was dug out:

dwarfbox1.jpgdwarfbox2.jpgdwarfbox3.jpgdwarfbox6.jpgdwarfbox5.jpgdwarfbox4.jpg

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unreal - hope they at least relocated them.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Mt. Vernon contact didn't have much detail, but it sounded like they wound up on a trash heap somewhere...If that's true, I have to find the trash heap, quick.
Looks like the closest landfill to Mason Neck is Rainwater landfill, maybe try them?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like the closest landfill to Mason Neck is Rainwater landfill, maybe try them?
I'm not convinced they sent the plants to the dump--and Fairfax county recycling center is a more likely place if they did--it's huge and is literally a mountain of garbage...

I have a feeling the landscape contractor might still have them...

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not convinced they sent the plants to the dump--and Fairfax county recycling center is a more likely place if they did--it's huge and is literally a mountain of garbage...

I have a feeling the landscape contractor might still have them...
Yeah

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it’s worth, the wood alone on these would be worth a pretty penny, I don’t know what uses in terms of woodworking it would be good for, but boxwood is REALLY hard wood with beautiful colour.

These looks too big to be practically grown in a pot, but similarly-shaped wild boxwoods are collected in France and they make fantastic bonsai, stuff like this:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it’s worth, the wood alone on these would be worth a pretty penny, I don’t know what uses in terms of woodworking it would be good for, but boxwood is REALLY hard wood with beautiful colour.

These looks too big to be practically grown in a pot, but similarly-shaped wild boxwoods are collected in France and they make fantastic bonsai, stuff like this:

They're not too big. I've Seen them in person many times. A few of them would be PERFECT in a pot ;-). They might be "they're so ugly they're beautiful" trees, but they also have history. They were planted by George Mason...FWIW, there are other boxwoods of similar age around here (and these are well over 260 years old). But none with quite the same character and certainly not the same history. These were originally shipped from England...That is half their charm, along with those fantastic single trunks.

I have no real hope of finding them alive at this point. But I could get lucky, who knows.

Last edited:

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you ever pursue this any further ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you ever pursue this any further ?
Yes. I've heard back from the estate. They said the work has yet to be done as the contract for the landscape has just been awarded. The estate said it plans on using the carcasses to make bowls and other stuff out of the wood. They also said they took numerous cuttings from the shrubs to use at the site in the future.

I've emailed back asking if they'd be interested in contacting the curator at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum about the boxwood. I always find it hard not to sound like a lunatic when trying to explain bonsai and old plants to people who aren't familiar with the subject. I know it can sound like I'm some kind of Crazy Cat Lady.

I also emailed the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum telling them that 300 year old boxwoods with two foot diameter trunks are being put in the trash bin only 13 miles away...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes. I've heard back from the estate. They said the work has yet to be done as the contract for the landscape has just been awarded. The estate said it plans on using the carcasses to make bowls and other stuff out of the wood. They also said they took numerous cuttings from the shrubs to use at the site in the future.

I've emailed back asking if they'd be interested in contacting the curator at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum about the boxwood. I always find it hard not to sound like a lunatic when trying to explain bonsai and old plants to people who aren't familiar with the subject. I know it can sound like I'm some kind of Crazy Cat Lady.

I also emailed the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum telling them that 300 year old boxwoods with two foot diameter trunks are being put in the trash bin only 13 miles away...
Good, maybe there is a chance a few can be preserved as living Bonsai in pots.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know they will be preserved in various ways. Thanks for the update!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any further updates?
No much. Trees are still there, from what I've heard, but not for much longer. I haven't been by in a while. Pretty much given up on this, sorry to say.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Find and call one of the big bosses and explain it is a way of preserving historical plants and offer them a bonsai for the estate. Explain the process and that it may be a few years before they actually have the plant but you'll keep them apprised. A few photos and paragraphs a couple of times a year should do it. Make it about them. Do it and deliver a bonsai, even if rough, asap. You could always go down and train it now and then.

A worker bee would never consider such a thing but a boss might.

Top Bottom