Damn summer vacations

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And another victim of automatic watering...

I got a call from the person that was checking them that there was a leak... So the gardner went over and checked.
He didn't tell me that he removed a sprinkler instead of fixing it.
My large palmatum looks like it has dry oregano leaves but alive, my crabapple has droopy burnt leaves but seems alive, my seedlings burnt beyond recognition, my smallest of two deshojo is dead and so is one azalea that was on its way to being one of my favorites... Small leaves, three flowers per terminal bud.

Oh well... Lesson learned. Have someone double check on the system.

Attachments

• IMG-20160117-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20160117-WA0017.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG-20160117-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20160117-WA0019.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG-20160117-WA0015.jpeg
    IMG-20160117-WA0015.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 138

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I lost my first collection while on vacation years ago. It made me quit for a few years.
I hope everything recovers for you Max You try so hard to get the good stock you have.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ouch! I feel your pain, Max. I've found out the hard way that there is no 100% guaranteed method of watering your trees other then by your own hand.
I read your thread of the zelcova and chojubai, how are those doing?

100% guaranteed by one is the only way... Even though I tend to over water.

I lost my first collection while on vacation years ago. It made me quit for a few years.
I hope everything recovers for you Max You try so hard to get the good stock you have.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope it doesnt make me quit... Still have good trees undamaged. But that elm was my second favorite tree, gonna defoliate dry leaves and see what it does. It has undamaged leaves on it, so it should survive, i may have to cut back some branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome back!

Long as that pine is ok....huh?!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That sucks man. Sorry to hear it, especially about the maple. Crabapples are tough, it'll probably be ok, elm too. crossing my fingers for you.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That sucks man. Sorry to hear it, especially about the maple. Crabapples are tough, it'll probably be ok, elm too. crossing my fingers for you.
Hopefully it does ok!

The deshojo and azalea seem like goners... But I will take extra care for them until next spring, even if they look dead.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I read your thread of the zelcova and chojubai, how are those doing?

Both survived. The chojubai was weakened significantly and I'm quite interested to see how it does this coming year. I thought the zelkova was a goner...of course, it pushed one bud which turned into a new 10 inch leader. It's no longer good shohin broom material, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

By the way, I'm planning on installing my own automatic watering system this spring...Lord help my trees when I'm away this coming summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a multistation programable Orbit unit, inexpensive but effective. I put new batteries in it and start using it a few days before leaving. You'll usually learn you need to adjust some placement, run the unit longer, etc.. Depending onyour water pressure and hose and sprinkler quality you should be able to water a helluva lot of trees, assuming they're off their benches and congregated on the ground. Granted i have a lot of water pressure and my sprinklers are held in place by tent stakes, but it works for a week.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So very sad to hear that you lost some of your trees.
You have worked so hard, yes I do read the threads
even if I don't comment, and added material you had
a difficult time obtaining to begin with. Don't become
discouraged though. I like to think of plants dying as
an excuse to replace them with more/better/different
ones.
armetisius

PS. Find another gardener.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love Trinidad for that,
'
50 x 35 miles, mountains.waterfalls, hiking, fishing, beach .......................... all in a few hours.
Hey, just move to a small Geographically mixed island.

Seriously, can't a friend watch over the gardener, or as we have them - yardmen.

That is why we run a two man system down here, off to Europe, and the other takes over.
Hope they come through.
Good Day
Anthony

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So... 3 weeks later:
Elm looks awesome! I couldn't have defoliated it any better.
Deshojo just starting to show like 10 or buds that are starting to open, I have babied this one just in case it was alive. I don't know if the whole tree is well, but it is showing some signs.
Apple, leaves everywhere.
seedlings... as dead as dead can be.
azalea, it looked completely burnt off, but some petioles and a bit of leave where the petiole attaches lookd a bit green and some branches are showing new green.

So the azalea and deshojo have been set waaaaaay back, but the seedlings are the only things dead right now.
I read some places that when collecting they use a black garbage bag. should i do something like that with the deshojo and azalea?

Reactions: Vin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So... 3 weeks later:
Elm looks awesome! I couldn't have defoliated it any better.
Deshojo just starting to show like 10 or buds that are starting to open, I have babied this one just in case it was alive. I don't know if the whole tree is well, but it is showing some signs.
Apple, leaves everywhere.
seedlings... as dead as dead can be.
azalea, it looked completely burnt off, but some petioles and a bit of leave where the petiole attaches lookd a bit green and some branches are showing new green.

So the azalea and deshojo have been set waaaaaay back, but the seedlings are the only things dead right now.
I read some places that when collecting they use a black garbage bag. should i do something like that with the deshojo and azalea?
Nope, just leave them alone other then careful watering.

RedRav

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And another victim of automatic watering...

I got a call from the person that was checking them that there was a leak... So the gardner went over and checked.
He didn't tell me that he removed a sprinkler instead of fixing it.
My large palmatum looks like it has dry oregano leaves but alive, my crabapple has droopy burnt leaves but seems alive, my seedlings burnt beyond recognition, my smallest of two deshojo is dead and so is one azalea that was on its way to being one of my favorites... Small leaves, three flowers per terminal bud.

Oh well... Lesson learned. Have someone double check on the system.

Top Bottom