Damping off Prevention

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know when growing from seed to use a well draining soil mix and to grow in a bright area to prevent damping off of seeds. What fungicides should I use as preventatives? Should they be soil or spray fungicides? Should I apply fungicides after or before seeds begin to sprout? Should I use powder or liquid fungicide? Is there anything else I can do to prevent damping off?

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know when growing from seed to use a well draining soil mix and to grow in a bright area to prevent damping off of seeds. What fungicides should I use as preventatives? Should they be soil or spray fungicides? Should I apply fungicides after or before seeds begin to sprout? Should I use powder or liquid fungicide? Is there anything else I can do to prevent damping off?
Also do I grow the seeds in full sun or in shade. If I grow in shade, when do I move to full sun?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've done two different things.
  1. Place a thin layer of damp sphagnum atop the seeds (seems to work though I am not sure why)
  2. Periodically spray the medium with a peroxide solution (2 tablespoons of 3% H2O2 in a quart of H2O).
And I will add that I've not had many problems with damping off as long as there is good air movement (not a breeze, just not dead still).

Seeds sprout earlier in full sun that in shade (solar heating). Plants that are normally shade adapted, like yew for example, might do better sprouted in shade. Part shade is some of both worlds.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Similar advice to the others with a few twists.
My experience is with JBP, JRP, Korean Hornbeam, Trident, Black Persimmon, Quince etc.
I have not experienced issues with damping off and i think the following are key points.
Clean substrate to begin with. I use horticultural pumice sifted for fines only and sterilized childrens play sand for seed germination. I do ensure that the bottom layer is coarser and drains well. Just coarser pumice for this layer.

1. Use shredded sphagnum atop the seeds.
2. Allow surface to dry out slightly between waterings.
3. Slight air movement ( for that i hooked up a small internal computer fan and placed in the vicinity) very inexpensive to purchase and operate.

I have not used the peroxide solution but know that it is preferred and vouched for by some growers.

Reaction score
I used akadama as growing medium for jbp seeds last time. No damping off. Advice i found somewhere. Daconil at the moment the deed pod falls off, and then every 2 weeks. Don't use soil medium that stays wet for to long. Make sure there is ventilation. Put a soft tissue plant in a continued damp environment and it will mold or rot.

Top Bottom