Dancing Lady Hinoki Cypress.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok Ill play.

Here is a little hinoki I purchased from Meehans Miniatures at MABS in April or May of 2014.

The first picture was taken in September of 2014. The second was taken today, August 2, 2016

View attachment 112657 View attachment 112658

I wired it last year and Ive been afraid to do any real pruning because they are very slow to grow and they dont back bud. I didnt want to screw it up because it is a cute little tree.
I finally got brave enough enough to do some pruning and thinning this spring. It needs more thinning but I didnt want to do too much at once.

This is an excellent example of why you should take periodic pictures of your trees. I really didnt think the tree had changed all that much in 2 years, other than the pruning I did.
When I looked at the 2014 photo and compared it to 2016, I was shocked to discover how much the tree really has changed in the last 2 years!
It has been quietly and subtly growing a hell of a lot more than I thought it had been doing!
The color in the first picture looks a bit sickly but that is because of the flash, not the tree, I dont think.
However I am happy to see that the little guy seems to be very happy right now.
In fact, I think it might actually be time to start looking for a bonsai pot for a new home.
Do you do anything in particular to keep the foliage pads so lateral ( in comparison to the usual twisting foliage Hinoki's are famous for )?
Regards,
Leonard

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you do anything in particular to keep the foliage pads so lateral ( in comparison to the usual twisting foliage Hinoki's are famous for )?
Regards,
Leonard

No. I wired the tree and that is how they have grown on this one. I thin them out once a year to let sun into the interior. Don't know of that does anything or not.

It's in need of a thinning in this picture

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Vance Wood did you ever get around to writing up the hinoki care guide you memtioned in an earlier post? The one in Taming hinoki cypress is about the only thing available and it would be great to get our perspective on them. We have several in the yard and I have a couple under development in training pots right now so your insights would be greatly appreciated. Also any updated photos of the Dancing Lady?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood did you ever get around to writing up the hinoki care guide you memtioned in an earlier post? The one in Taming hinoki cypress is about the only thing available and it would be great to get our perspective on them. We have several in the yard and I have a couple under development in training pots right now so your insights would be greatly appreciated. Also any updated photos of the Dancing Lady?
I have not written up a care guide that will not cause the locals to come for me with pitch forks and the such. The critical issue is keeping the new growth pinched back and yes I said Pinched.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Don't worry about pitchforks Vance. The tar and feathers always gets my attention!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have not written up a care guide that will not cause the locals to come for me with pitch forks and the such. The critical issue is keeping the new growth pinched back and yes I said Pinched.
I don’t know, you always seem to be able to hold your own in a debate on here. Plus your devotees will be there doing their Vance, Vance, Vance, Vance.........mantra.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don’t know, you always seem to be able to hold your own in a debate on here. Plus your devotees will be there doing their Vance, Vance, Vance, Vance.........mantra.
Really???

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Any recent update of your tree, Vance Wood ?

I like the shape of the pot, but i'd prefer a darker and lighter pot. The actual pot attacts too much the attention, in the détriments of the tree, imo !

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
IMO the tree would get better with more assymetry in the foliage. For example working on the lenghth of the branches, making jins etc

You said to me, vance, in a dry professorial way, that it is little details that make a tree look like a Bonsai. I think you should work on making your Bonsai look more like an old & wild tree (with more assymetry, empty spaces and jins) ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I like the shape of the pot, but i'd prefer a darker and lighter pot. The actual pot attacts too much the attention, in the détriments of the tree, imo !
It is a Sara Raynor pot and I have not found anything that costs less than a Chevy that is appropriate to the tree but I am always looking.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
IMO the tree would get better with more assymetry in the foliage. For example working on the lenghth of the branches, making jins etc

You said to me, vance, in a dry professorial way, that it is little details that make a tree look like a Bonsai. I think you should work on making your Bonsai look more like an old & wild tree (with more assymetry, empty spaces and jins) ;)
You're right it needs more aging, and a bonsai is never done till it's dead.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

No current updates that will have to wait till sometime this next season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really like the progression. Hinoki are such great trees, and this one is beautiful. Have you had more luck using guy wires than traditional wiring?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hinoki can take the “grip and rip” type of pinching!

Don’t do that on a juniper.
You pretty much have to or you'll be there for days pinching every new green tip.

Top Bottom