Dancing tree..

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20200514_180842.jpg
can you see it...?

LoL its actually a silly tree that I kinda don't know what to do with. I received it (from a dear friend) bent like this about 7 yrs ago and want to do right by it. I would appreciate some help and input. Its a Acer palmatum.
The bent actually confuse me. Can't decide if I like that. Either way it is what it is and i'm trying to make the best of that bending.
One idea I have is to cut everything off below the first branch and make I little Shohin.
Then i'm thinking do something like this
IMG_20200514_194054~2.jpg
Other side
IMG_20200514_180923.jpg
IMG_20200514_181015.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The natural shape for Acer palmatum is upright branches, almost trunks than then sweep out to form the foliage pads.
There are a lot of informal upright paint by numbers AP with horizontal or dropping branches but those don't impress me as much as a tree with really well tapered and ramified ascending branches.

Maybe your friend has actually done you a favour growing this shape. I'm trying to grow a few AP with wriggly trunks like this. I think it is good but the branches should also reflect those bends so steer clear of straight on this trunk.
I think the branch angles are just about right as they are but they may still need to be replaced because of lack of taper, long internodes and too straight.
The 3rd branch is a bit thick and lacks taper. I would consider removing that and growing a replacement.
In 2 minds about the rear one. The base is far too thick but I would be tempted to leave it for the moment and maybe replace when the right branch has got going?
The lowest branch is just what I would love to see on a trunk like this - just enough movement and a little taper. Now needs ramification.
I find that a lot of development for AP is grow then cut back to remove thick and long internodes. Most of the branches will require such treatment.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yeh i dont get why you wouldnt like the movement your friend has put into the tree...
if you were looking at whats around you for inspiration you would have a better idea of what can be done

Attachments

• 20200514_095113.jpg
    20200514_095113.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200514_095136.jpg
    20200514_095136.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 46

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like them Bobby cuts.
I'd take the remaining back close too.

I think your red canopy outline is the furthest extent it should see.
Any closer than that is more golden.

Sorce

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Valuable input...Thanks.
Yeah the lack of taper and the thick upper branches is mostly the concern.
Love that tree @BobbyLane. I'll use that going forward.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second Bobby's idea. An informal broom is how most D-trees grow in nature. I'm more partial to a natural tree than the Japanese style. Look to Walter Pall's trees for inspiration.
Oh yeah me to. I go nuts over anything natural :D

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so when do you plan to do the cuts?
i only ask because i see so many of these threads asking for advice. people make contributions. and the threads just die off, never to be seen again!😁

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah i'll use the thread as a progression one Bobby. You're not going to get off that lightly...i'm banking on your expertise mate ;)
Its still Autumn here in NZ. I was planning to cut and repot late winter, but i'm itching as we speak.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yeh i dont get why you wouldnt like the movement your friend has put into the tree...
if you were looking at whats around you for inspiration you would have a better idea of what can be done
@fredman the photo attachments @BobbyLane provided are exactly what I saw when first viewing the tree. You have excellent material to work with. I would definitely aim toward that visual direction.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What would your recommendation be :)?

just saw this!
i did a diagram of the cuts i would make 'to start with'
its not my tree so i cant really say how far i would go if it was in front of me.
but i dont like the long straight branch on the right hence the cuts.

you know im not shy when making cuts for the better

Attachments

• 2019-12-24_10-49-14.jpg
    2019-12-24_10-49-14.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2019-12-24_10-49-23.jpg
    2019-12-24_10-49-23.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 17

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I second Bobby's idea. An informal broom is how most D-trees grow in nature. I'm more partial to a natural tree than the Japanese style. Look to Walter Pall's trees for inspiration.

most cant be bothered to do all that, its too much work sifting through old threads, pics, studying real trees.
its much easier to ask for everyones opinion😀

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
most cant be bothered to do all that, its too much work sifting through old threads, pics, studying real trees.
its much easier to ask for everyones opinion😀
True, but all aren't artistically inclined or at least have a good sense of "seeing an end result". I'm one of those that don't have either. I always try to do natural first, but this fell into my lap and it challenges me. I look at it with an "instinctive" natural eye and this tree don't want that. There's people here that has what I lack. In the end they get their creative streaks enhanced and I get to get a peek outside my box ;)
Then again I don't want a tree that someone else designed...so I have my work cut out for me. But its early days yet. I have it in my garage and looking at it frequently. We have all winter...:D

Top Bottom