Dark spots on my maple, advice needed.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have an Acer palmatum sazanami that I purchased from Evergreen gardenworks about a month ago.
Tree is small but growing well and has put on a lot of growth/leaves since I got it.
This morning I had noticed that there were 3 different areas with black spots on them.
Is this anything that I need to be concerned with?

IMG_6557 brite.jpg

Sorry about the dark background, it's been awhile since I had this camera out.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks like bark damage from your pruners when cutting that little branch.

There are two variants of extreme possible measures if you know what I said above definitely isn't the case.
  1. cauterize the area - char the area (plus a bit) with a butane torch
  2. lop off everything above the bottom edge of the photo and discard it to the yard waste bin.
Before you do either of these, though, I suggest that you consult with @Brent (if you didn't make that branch stub seen in your pic.).

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It looks like bark damage from your pruners when cutting that little branch.

There are two variants of extreme possible measures if you know what I said above definitely isn't the case.
  1. cauterize the area - char the area (plus a bit) with a butane torch
  2. lop off everything above the bottom edge of the photo and discard it to the yard waste bin.
Before you do either of these, though, I suggest that you consult with @Brent (if you didn't make that branch stub seen in your pic.).

I have done no pruning on this tree so far. What you said does make sense though.
I has that same kind of spots in 2 other areas all facing the same direction.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Maybe sun scald then?

Maybe insect/animal or possibly some form of mechanical damage like Oso thought.

I wouldn't think it was the sun as it has a fairly good canopy of leaves and it only gets morning sun.
Gets turned every few days also.
I checked the other places and there is no evidence of pruning.
Every place it has been pruned other than in the picture there are no marks.

@Osoyoung, I went ahead and took your advice and sent that picture to Brent.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I agree with Oso. Although unsightly it looks like bark damage to me at least from the photo provided..

Come to think of it I wonder if this happened in transit.
I purchased two saplings and they were packaged together in a small foot long square box.
They were arranged with the rootball of one tree at one end and the other rootball at the other end.
I wonder if the marks are from the other trees stubby limbs rubbing on this one in transit.

It would be fine with me if it's just damage to the bark as this part will be cut off in a year or two anyways.

I do appreciate the advice though. I feel better about it already.
Thanks

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Come to think of it I wonder if this happened in transit.
I purchased two saplings and they were packaged together in a small foot long square box.
They were arranged with the rootball of one tree at one end and the other rootball at the other end.
I wonder if the marks are from the other trees stubby limbs rubbing on this one in transit.

It would be fine with me if it's just damage to the bark as this part will be cut off in a year or two anyways.

I do appreciate the advice though. I feel better about it already.
Thanks

Bingo! You may have already your answer.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got an e-mail back from Brent.
He agrees that it probably got bruised during shipping.
I'm good with that and happy with the tree.
I will keep an eye on it though.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm curious if you could post a picture of your sazanami if you still have it. I'm considering ordering one from Brent and can't find any decent pictures of this cultivar on the web.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
something like that warrants cutting everything below (or w.e.) off??? wont it heal over?

Top Bottom