David Benavente's garden

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For those here that might be interested, I had the opportunity this past week of visiting the garden and studio of bonsai artist David Benavente in Madrid, Spain. David is widely considered one of the top working professionals in Europe. He has won numerous awards including the prestigious Noelanders Trophy award a few years ago. Unfortunately he was not there the day I stopped by, but I met with a few of his students. One of them, Justo, took me all around explaining many of the trees on display and David's working methods.

One striking aspect of his garden is how meticulously clean and organized it is. Every area and every corner is kept free of debris and perfectly manicured. He works with a wide range of species although most trees were conifers.

One interesting fact about David is that he never apprenticed in Japan. He mostly learned everything from his mentor and teacher Luis Vallejo, who is also a well known and respected artist in Europe. I was told that he also learned a great deal by emulating what he saw in Japanese magazines and specially from Kokofu books. He eventually has develop his own styled that is clearly grounded in Japanese aesthetics and philosophy.

Justo also explained how many of the trees at the nursery have little chance to mature. He said that often, as David finishes styling a tree, it is quickly snapped up by collectors and professionals alike. As a result, many trees, although old in themselves have had a chance to fully settle into their own. Regardless, I found this place completely inspiring. I do hope you'll find inspiration as well from these photos.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

This is a Japanese white pine from Kimura that David bought from him. When a bonsai like this is purchased from a well known master, I was told that the design is always respected and kept much the same.

Three beautiful collected yews from northern Spain. It is a protected species in Europe and increasingly difficult to obtain one. As a result they can be quite expensive.

This well known scots pine was at Noelanders just a couple of years ago. Amazing tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A couple of maples and other trees enjoying shade underneath a small forest of holly oaks (quercus ilex). Aside from olive trees, these evergreen oaks are the most abundant species in Spain. The maple on the left is 4' tall with a base of around 12". This very large kabudachi style maple won one of the top awards a few years ago at Noelanders. It is now owned by a French collector.

This huge itoigawa juniper imported from Japan is being developed and refined. It is called the "cathedral" and it was stunning. We will definitely see it in future European shows. I was told that David does not make much use of power tools. Rather, he peels off strips of wood in the direction of the grain, later using a sand blaster to polish it achieving a very natural and aged appearance.

At the back of his garden, he had several tables with many collected trees waiting their turn to be styled or simply sold.

These are two of most recent trees that had arrived at the garden. They are very large collected scots pines from Spain. Can't wait to see what David will do with these!

Last, is a photo of the studio where a couple of his students were working on trees. His selection of pots was incredible. Mostly all very high end Japanese and antique Chinese containers. After almost 5 hours being there it was time to go.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing!

Safe travels!

Sorce

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience! I think I need a couple apprentices just clean up my garden:)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Always a treat to see wonderful photos of "Top Notch" collections and Thank you for sharing!

My favorite picture -

Last, is a photo of the studio where a couple of his students were working on trees. His selection of pots was incredible. Mostly all very high end Japanese and antique Chinese containers.

Three Deshi working on plants surrounded by a display of wealth. I like the photo because it is ironic in a sense that they have sub standard chairs and all look to be less then happy with their work conditions. :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Simply amazing. Looks like a very tidy, spacious Japanese nursery! Thank you for sharing photos Serg.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mind blowing trip it looks like to me. I love how organized, and how each tree is arranged and able to be seen. The garden layout is as eye catching as the trees themselves. Beautiful. Have a safe journey, thanks for taking us along!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience! I think I need a couple apprentices just clean up my garden:)

Indeed!! :p

Always a treat to see wonderful photos of "Top Notch" collections and Thank you for sharing!

My favorite picture -

Three Deshi working on plants surrounded by a display of wealth. I like the photo because it is ironic in a sense that they have sub standard chairs and all look to be less then happy with their work conditions. :rolleyes:

Grimmy

LOL Grimmy perhaps that's by design to keep everyone productive? It reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode where George Constanza is adamant about getting a security guard a more comfortable chair. He ends up falling asleep in his new chair and the store gets robbed! :D

I talked to all of the students and they were genuinely all extremely grateful to be studying with David. He is one, if not the best, bonsai practitioner in Spain at the moment.

Simply amazing. Looks like a very tidy, spacious Japanese nursery! Thank you for sharing photos Serg.

Yes it reminded in particular to Shinji Suzuki's garden in how tidy it is. When I came back home, the first thing I did was take my leaf blower, rake and a pair of large tweezers to clean up all the gravel in my garden. Yeah I know... I need a life! :rolleyes:

Mind blowing trip it looks like to me. I love how organized, and how each tree is arranged and able to be seen. The garden layout is as eye catching as the trees themselves. Beautiful. Have a safe journey, thanks for taking us along!

Judy I cannot tell you how happy I was to be able to visit David. I have been following his work for many years now. I think his garden is beautiful and tastefully done just like his trees.

BTW, Justo also told me that David buys many trees that get passed on by enthusiast and professionals alike due to either them having defects or considered substandard material. He has the ability to turn many of these trees into beautiful works by his own sheer creativity and talent. He then may sell them for 3 or 4 times what he paid for. Good business!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks so much for posting these photos. Beautiful trees and garden. I was also thinking that my garden would be a lot neater if I had a few students/apprentices around to pick up leaves and other debris.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad you had a chance to visit Benevente's garden. Your photographs are tremendous, and give a good idea of the scale he's working in. I noticed a comparatively huge number of fertilizer baskets on many trees. Did you find out anything about how he feeds his trees?

I noticed a very nice single trunk chojubai. I was happy to see the flowering tree in his collection.

Thanks for posting these great pictures. You must be walking a foot off the ground!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I talked to all of the students and they were genuinely all extremely grateful to be studying with David. He is one, if not the best, bonsai practitioner in Spain at the moment.

I was kidding of course but here is my morbid take on it -

They expressed they were pleased to you as those were Uchi Deshi - the Deshi have it far worse :p

Grimmy

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm glad you had a chance to visit Benevente's garden. Your photographs are tremendous, and give a good idea of the scale he's working in. I noticed a comparatively huge number of fertilizer baskets on many trees. Did you find out anything about how he feeds his trees?

I noticed a very nice single trunk chojubai. I was happy to see the flowering tree in his collection.

Thanks for posting these great pictures. You must be walking a foot off the ground!

Yes this was actually my first question. As I entered, I saw a few trees with every square inch covered in baskets. Talking about fertilizing your trees! The info I got was that David slowly ramps up his fertilization as the season progresses. This is particularly true for yamadori. As the trees get stronger and start growing more rapidly he starts adding more baskets until the entire surface area is filled with them. As the fertilizer dissolves he adds more to the baskets. I was told he uses Biogold pellets. There was no mention of combining it with chemical fertilizers so I assume this is his basic and only feeding regime. I will say everything looked very healthy.

The chojubai was a nice surprise. I believe the only one I saw there. It was imported from Japan and they told me that it was a bit out of sorts from the importation and why it was blooming at this time.

I was kidding of course but here is my morbid take on it -

They expressed they were pleased to you as those were Uchi Deshi - the Deshi have it far worse :p

Grimmy

Yes and even way worse if you are one for Kimura! :eek:

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I loved seeing how clean it was, and the level of detail that went into the space of the trees, in addition to the trees themselves. This is something I think we can all easily achieve on a smaller scale!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Amazing! Thank you for sharing. He is an artist that I've been unaware of, but I will definitely be watching now. I can't imagine how inspiring it must have been to visit. I'm inspired just by the pictures.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures! Beyond the green sheet of border, are those large tall junipers being trained for bonsai?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thumbless I did not ask but it looked like these were just growing as a hedge. They may have even been from his neighbor.

It was hard leaving the place empty handed. So... I bought a beautiful Koyo pot. The photo gives an idea but definitely does not do it any justice. It is about 11" in diameter. You can even feel the quality from just touching it.

Top Bottom