David Benavente's garden

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! That's a beautiful pot and in a style I really like. Thanks for posting!

Fred it really caught my eye when I walked in into the studio. I didn't know the maker but I really did like it. A bit more ornate than what I usually go for but really beautiful pot. I have a tree that potentially could look great in it. I will have to see. In any case I am sure I'll eventually find something to pair it up with.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
nice pics! Thanks.

Perfect timing to get some ideas for my bonsai area.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm not sure jealously accurately describes my feelings.....

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a nice souvenir! Has this visit given you inspiration for any future projects?

Well the biggest inspiration was it did fuel my desire for scots pine. He had so many, and so many were beautiful! Seeing his professional wiring and overall methods and techniques did push me to be better at what I do. David has an exquisite sensibility to style trees that anyone would benefit from studying his work.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Well the biggest inspiration was it did fuel my desire for scots pine. He had so many, and so many were beautiful! Seeing his professional wiring and overall methods and techniques did push me to be better at what I do. David has an exquisite sensibility to style trees that anyone would benefit from studying his work.

Serg,

Have any Pitch Pine? I'm starting to play with it myself, and it's a native in our neck of the woods!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Looking at your pictures, I had suspected that you'd got bitten by the Scots pine bug :D I like those and the European Mugos too. There were some mugos in your pictures too, right?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Serg,

Have any Pitch Pine? I'm starting to play with it myself, and it's a native in our neck of the woods!

Sure I'd be willing to try pitch pine as well. Admittedly I am not all too familiar with them. Do they have same or similar attributes to scots i.e. prolific back budding and able to reduce needles easily?

Looking at your pictures, I had suspected that you'd got bitten by the Scots pine bug :D I like those and the European Mugos too. There were some mugos in your pictures too, right?

Hmmm not sure if I saw any mugos there. I was asking and everywhere I turn they told me they were all scots. Lots collected right in Spain.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

When I first read this on his site "Through his rigorous six-year apprenticeship under world-renowned Bonsai Master Mr. Masahiko Kimura (of Saitama prefecture, Japan)" I immediately noticed the use of the word "rigorous". I think I better understand it now ;)

Grimmy

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score

This is a Japanese white pine from Kimura that David bought from him. When a bonsai like this is purchased from a well known master, I was told that the design is always respected and kept much the same.

Three beautiful collected yews from northern Spain. It is a protected species in Europe and increasingly difficult to obtain one. As a result they can be quite expensive.

This well known scots pine was at Noelanders just a couple of years ago. Amazing tree!

Awesomeness

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I remember when you posted this last year and thinking how beautiful the European Bonsai trees are in general. Yes, we have some talented folks with beautiful trees here but the Europeans "seem" to have the edge.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Serge, I envy the amount you get to travel! Hoping I will be able to do more of that one day when my kids are grown! Great pics as usual, looks like he had some amazing trees!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I remember when you posted this last year and thinking how beautiful the European Bonsai trees are in general. Yes, we have some talented folks with beautiful trees here but the Europeans "seem" to have the edge.

I agree Vin, but this is changing very rapidly! I think it is an exciting time for bonsai here the US.

Europe definitely has the edge on us and in my opinion some of the best bonsai in the world is coming right now out of Spain.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Serge, I envy the amount you get to travel! Hoping I will be able to do more of that one day when my kids are grown! Great pics as usual, looks like he had some amazing trees!

Travel is tough when you have small children. But... they will grow up soon enough and faster than you think! :eek: David had some wonderful stuff in his garden. He is very accomplished with great artistry!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Anyone know a source for those large baskets?

Top Bottom