Dawn redwood bark - what is going on?

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect as the bark matures and starts flaking again it'll become less noticeable. I would be corious what the co-op has to say about it.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a grafted dawn redwood, and the understock's bark gets all spongy like this, but the grafted "gold rush" on top doesn't do it at all. Interesting.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if it's just maturing bark, because not all the trees do this. Only a few.

As to the search for answers, I never took the tree to the cooperative extension to be examined. They didn't have any explanations based on the photos I sent. I cut off most of the affected branches and planted the tree back in the ground to grow for a year or two. We'll see what happens.

Earlier this spring, I was at Bill's and noted the same type of thing happening on some dawn redwoods. He has a beautiful forest planting (there's some photos in his book I'm pretty sure) and I've never seen it on any of those trees. But he had some other dawn redwoods in one of his shade houses that I think he acquired fairly recently (not sure, maybe he'll comment if he sees this) and some of those trees had the flaky/spongy thing going on. I think he said he's seen it before and it's not a problem (except maybe cosmetically).

So for now, I'm going with "it's within the realm of normal for the species". I really don't want my group planting to have a bunch of normal trees and one that does this, so I'll keep an eye on it and maybe will have to find another to replace it. I do have a bunch of seedlings coming along.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Roger, that!
It is in the book, as you mentioned. Shame it is only a smaller photo.
This one stayed out all winter with no protection techniques and survived. Though it did grow thru the bottom of the container and I'll have to dig a big hole to get it out.:(
Did help girth up the lower trunk nicely, though.:)
Michael at BonsaiWest makes some groves, or used to more frequently, that are really nice. Some of the older, nicer compositions where a bit pricey, I'm talkin' around a grand or so, but really amazing.
I've no spot for the size of them, they seem to appreciate a fair amount of shade and cool roots. I need to convince my landlady to let me use some shade cloth!!

I'm sure you'll remedy your situation.:cool:

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I have 3 haven't seen this yet none are only 2-3 years old thou. I guess it's nothing to "worry " about seeing it doesn't hurt the tree. See if it does it more next spring.

Reaction score
I've been watching this thread for several months. I keep coming back to it because it's the ONLY discussion I can find (and I've spent hours) on the internet that describes what I'm seeing on my DR.
I purchased 10 bare root saplings from an online vendor 3 years ago. All arrived covered in this brown gritty dust. I thought they were moldy but I planted all 10.
The first year I lost 4 to rabbits the rest grew about 18" but retained the brown powdery stuff. The next fall I purchased 4 more from another vendor to replace to rabbit victims. The 4 new trees did not have the brown powdery bark.
The fastest growing of the first lot seemed to be effected the worst and (although growing) by 2nd year I was seeing dieback on effected branches. I was afraid it would spread to other species nearby so I cut it down and burned it reluctantly.
The remaining 9 trees are 2-3 years old and about 3' tall. Every tree now shows this powdery dust beneath curling and peaking bark (almost like a river birch).
I would like to know if they are all doomed and if I'm risking spreading a disease to my entire neighborhood.
Has anyone come to a conclusion on if this is normal or a disease?

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really believe this is normal for young DR trees, at least some. Some of mine have had it and some not, but all grew very vigorous. Sorry I don't have anything concrete to back that claim up, just my personal opinion based on personal experience. Also, DR will sprout up from the roots, so if rabbits nibble them down, give them a chance to resprout.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a good sized one in front of my house, and I have seen this on growing branches. Tree has always grown like crazy, even in zone 4!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you look closely/thru the fuzzy picture quality, the back side that gets almost no sun still retains "fuzz". The side that has good sun exposure has "cleaner" bark.

Dawn Redwoods have bark similar to their big brother, the Coastal Redwood. Spongy, corky....soft. I think rapid growth will trigger this strange type of fuzzy bark.
If it's fungal, it doesn't show in the foliage and there isn't any weird "secretions" anywhere....:eek::eek::D:D:D:D

I'm gonna' have to dig the whole thing up, tote and all, soon. It escaped thru all the drainage holes I drilled in the bottom. This baby AIN'T moving!!! Made it thru two winters!!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I remember to do it this year, I am going to try some air layers on mine. I would love to have some in pots!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any news regarding your Redwood, @coh ? I'll snap a photo of the same area on the tree this afternoon. Just curious if affected areas on your DRW have cleared.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any news regarding your Redwood, @coh ? I'll snap a photo of the same area on the tree this afternoon. Just curious if affected areas on your DRW have cleared.
No, it still happens on some of the trees. Seems most prominent on fast growing/young trunk/branch segments. All of my trees are currently in the ground but I should be getting them
into a pot (forest/grouping) in a year or two. Will be interesting to see how they behave once potted. Haven't lost any of the trunks or branches so it doesn't seem to be harmful
to the tree, just ugly (and not in a good way!)

Dirtbath

Seed
Reaction score
My dawn redwood does this too. However, I notice this stuff on the newer growths, I do not see it else where on established old wood. I really don't know what the cause is; but, if I were to make up a reason from my observation....I'd chalk it up as a layer of possible protection for younger growths. This goes without saying but newer growth is really fleshy and then they harden off. I guess this is the way dawn redwoods do it? I too have been monitoring my dawn redwood and nothing bad became of it. That stuff did fall off after a year of growth.
My Amber Glow Metasequoia glyptostroboides has this showing now. I noticed dieback on two branches but not on the branches that show this. I am attaching photos. This tree has been in ground for 2 years.

Attachments

• 3F78959B-AFBB-45A6-ADE5-072D02640648.jpeg
    3F78959B-AFBB-45A6-ADE5-072D02640648.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 41
  • BCC29E33-1B69-42A1-806C-A79E49893638.jpeg
    BCC29E33-1B69-42A1-806C-A79E49893638.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 41
  • 2AF17DBB-1B45-4F4E-ACF4-1BAE04AE1A03.jpeg
    2AF17DBB-1B45-4F4E-ACF4-1BAE04AE1A03.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 41
  • FC1B4C7C-230F-4E51-B05F-6B3146452E7A.jpeg
    FC1B4C7C-230F-4E51-B05F-6B3146452E7A.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 39

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Reviving to see if anyone has seen any negative effects beyond aesthetic or any cures. I just noticed this exact phenomenon for the first time on my single DR that I've had thickening in ground for a couple years now. I may have missed it last year, but it certainly caught my eye walking through the grow beds this morning. Unfortunately just planted 10 more DR 1-yr old seedlings nearby. Hoping it doesn't spread!

Top Bottom